Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Red-Eyed Demon



The illness of Flyfishing comes with many symptoms.   One of the most predominate of these is the soothing obsession with “home-water.”  Determining if you have fallen victim to this symptom is as easy as closing your eyes.  Where once existed the black backside of your eyelids now lives a vividly colored picture of your home-water and its aquatic inhabitants.  Despite its name a home-water has very little to do with proximity.  You may watch it every morning out your backdoor, savoring the sounds and smells of its sweet waters as you enjoy the morning coffee, or perhaps it is a plane ride and time zone away.   The only qualifying factor is that over protective feeling that swells when someone else is, has, or is thinking about fishing it.  It is said that jealousy is a green eyed monster, and if that is the case, than the emotions of the “home-water” subsist as a red-eyed demon.   
                 I am among the many which have let the red eyed demon get the best of me.  My home-water is the Arkansas River as it leaves the dam at Pueblo Reservoir.  It is about a six mile stretch which I know with better intimacy than any other place on the planet.  Having also worked and been associated with the local fly shop for many years most of the local fisherman have also become intimates.  My water sees most of its traffic in the winter months and in recent years this traffic has increased tenfold.  This increase in traffic is as we say “good for business and bad for fishing.”  It is with a heavy heart that I have rounded many a corner as of late and seen a “stranger” standing in one of “my” holes.  In these moments the words in my head are shameful.  As I pass by these “invaders” I stare at the ground and do my very best to not make eye contact.  The cold shoulder feels the most adequate response to their presence.   In the worst case scenarios one of these “invaders” will come up and tell me all about the fish they have caught today……and offer suggestions.  Once these suggestions and comments have been made it takes all my strength not lash out like at child and yell, “I know this is MY water and these are MY fish.”   
                However, after a bad afternoon battling my red eyed demon and a few days of reflection I remembered something important.  I am often an “invader” on other people’s home-waters, I often give advice, and more importantly I despise rude fishermen.  So, in an effort to keep my cool I will be focusing on these facts as I face the busy season.   However, I do recommend everyone else find a new hobby….. Just kidding….. Just most of you J      

No comments:

Post a Comment