Sunday, March 18, 2012

Great Quotes with Even Better Fish


  Every year as Spring rolls in, the shop gets steady stream starry eyed anglers in asking if Cat and I are planning to head up to the Dream Stream. It gets me thinking of one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite actors of all time. Paul Newman was considered one of the sexiest men alive and when asked how he stayed loyal to Joanne Woodward for over fifty years. He smiled and said “why go out for hamburger when can eat steak at home.”

   I was fishing with a friend today and when I first met up with him he asked me if I was planning on heading up to the Dream Stream. Don’t know, I sure like the taste of steak, I answered, then I explained my strange response. Ben has been in the market for a premium rod so I was letting him try out my Winston B2-MX, 9 foot 5 weight. He had fished it on Saturday and was extremely impressed with the casting and ability to blast through the wind and was hoping to hook a pig to see how it fought big fish. Fishing was very interesting today and I could not believe the difference in conditions since Thursday. On Thursday it seemed as if the fish were finishing off the spawn and were moving back into feeding lanes. Today it seemed as if someone had been pumping  Barry Whitefish tunes into the river the last few days. I saw beds everywhere and they all seemed full of big fish. The feeding lanes had fish but they seemed to be smaller. I landed a dozen or so but the largest was only about 13 inches. Ben moved into a slow deeper pool behind me and caught a few big suckers. Then he started getting excited, this fish feels strong as heck but he said he thought he could feel the head shake. The fish headed to the other side and I thought I could see the stripe as it moved to the surface. It kept diving though and I thought maybe it was another sucker. As Ben worked it in he kind of made a little squeal as he saw that it was definitely a rainbow, and a nice one at that. He finally got it landed at it measured off at a plump 20 inches. The biggest fish he has ever landed and the rod and reel made all the difference in the world is what he said. I had to take off shortly after that and that one big fish seemed to make the day.

  I don’t know what Ben will be eating for supper this evening but I would like to say Enjoy the Steak!


This fish is not spilling milt but is urinating!!!!!
   We at the Drift Fly Shop are passionate about our water and fly fishing it. We spend a ton of time on the Ark and know it inside and out. If you would like to learn more about our water, this should be the best time of the year to do it. Fish should be finishing the spawn soon and will be feeding heavy when done. Thanks for reading, Connell 719-543-3900


2 comments: