Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring into Amazing Fly Fishing: April 22, 2012




      


Hello and welcome to another addition of the O’Grady fly fishing blog. Today was another magnificent day on the water, the weather, the water clarity and especially the company, made for a perfect day. The water was bumped up to about 350 cfs Friday evening and brought back down to about 300 on Sunday but the clarity stayed very good and allowed for great sight fishing and the weather was absolutely perfect. With the extra water, the fish seemed to spread out a little but still at least a couple in every hole.



I worried that this might have been Cat’s day of glory when she hooked and landed a 14 inch bow on her first cast. She had landed 5 fish before I even had my first take. After about fifteen minutes I finally landed my first fish and I think it was only about 10 inches but it seemed to open the flood gates. Every spot we stopped and fished, we picked up fish. I landed a 21 and a 20 inch bow today, but the excitement came when I hooked what my best guess would be about a 23 inch bow. In the video I worked him to within a few feet of me but when I grabbed the net he moved forward a few more feet. As I was replacing the net, the fish had had enough and shot up river and ran me into the downed tree. It was the first time in quite a while that a fish actually made my knees weak and my hands shake, it took a while to rerig with the shaky hands.



Hopefully we learned a lesson today about keeping our camera lenses a little cleaner. I was so disappointed when I saw the video quality of the 20 incher Cat caught. The whole scene was set up perfect, she sighted it out, dropped her fly right in front of it, hooked it, and fought the absolutely gorgeous fish but the camera lens must have been dirty and so it came out blurry. We will try real hard to keep those cleaner in the future.



I was looking back at last year’s photos and if this year follows the same pattern we should have a couple of very good weeks of fishing left. The guides at The Drift Fly Shop are passionate about giving clients a day of fishing that rivals the old Fantasy Island shows (slight exaggeration). Thanks for reading Connell 719-543-3900 www.thedriftflyshop.com













No comments:

Post a Comment