Saturday, May 26, 2012

Delaney's and Wind


   Well the trip got cut short due to the high winds but one thing I know for sure. If you can fish, then you can catch fish anywhere. If you think I am talking about myself then you are WRONG!!!! Cat had the hot rod for the shortened weekend.

   This was a strange trip to say the least, it all started about three weeks ago when I realized that my short vacation time was scheduled for the same time that CSUP was hosting the track and field national championships. I know that most of the better athletes eat Subway and I started wondering if maybe I should cancel the trip and stay home and take care of my real job. The next excitement came the day we were leaving and I had Cat take my car to drop off the dogs and I was going to go to work for a while before we headed north. As I was pulling out of the garage, all of the dash board lights started flashing and I shut the van off, when I tried to restart it, there was nothing at all. After some quick research and some running around I figured out and fixed the problem, too much corrosion on the battery. The next strange thing that happened was I stopped by the shop to pick up a couple of last things and the radio was playing a not very popular but pretty song that Cat has always said wanted played at her funeral some day. When I finally got home picked up Cat and got on our way I told Cat that it felt almost as if something did not want us going on this trip. She got a strange look on her face and said she didn’t want to tell me but when we were leaving the house she had an overwhelming feeling that we may not be coming back. NOT a good thing to think about while driving between Pueblo and Denver, every semi that we passed had us seeing flashes from the Final Destination movies.

  We pulled into the Delaney’s about 6:00P.M. and met up with Mark and my brother in law Jim, and then we started setting up camp and getting our fishing stuff ready. Let me back track just a little and let you know that when ever take fishing trips, I do all the packing because I do not want to forget ANYTHING. So as we were finishing our unpacking, Cat asked me where my boots were. I DON’T EVER FORGET ANYTHING! except for now. Cat then said that maybe it was just me that wasn’t supposed to fish. The night finished off with a great steak dinner and plans set for next day.

   Friday, I grabbed Mark and headed into North Park Anglers in Walden so I could purchase a pair of boots. The guys in the shop were very nice and treated me very well and gave me a good looking person discount on boot rental (okay maybe it was an idiot discount). If you ever get to North Park I would definitely suggest you stop into their shop and check it out, very homey and run with class. We got back to the lake and started fishing about 8:00 A.M.. I had explained to Cat over the few prior days that this was no ordinary lake and if she wanted to catch fish it would behoove her to follow Marks instruction to the T. Immediately she started doing her own thing and started catching fish. We both landed three fish with mine being a 19 inch brown and two 14 inch rainbows, Cat landed  two 17 and one 19 inch browns. At a little after nine the winds started, steady at 20-25 mph with gusts up to 40. We hung out most of the day and for a short time the winds slowed just enough for Cat and I to walk the bank and cast dries to cruising fish. Cat landed 5 with the largest being about 19 inches and I got skunked, and Jim landed a 19 inch beauty. We tried fishing just before dark but by the time we got our boats on the water the wind came back up and ended our night.

  Saturday morning we started fishing about 7:30 but the water seemed a little stirred up from the day before. I landed two small rainbows and a 19 inch brown. Jim caught one and Mark landed four. Cat landed a 17 inch brown and had two serious break offs, she was fishing 4x. At about 9:30 the winds came up again and took us off the lake. After seeing the forecast for the next few days, we decided to go ahead and head back toward Pueblo.

  Driving home we stopped at Willow creek and caught a few small brookies and the headed to Winter Park and fished the Fraser for a little while. Cat landed a beautiful 15 inch brown and we both caught a couple small rainbows.

  As we pulled into the driveway we both took a deep breath, kissed and were very thankful we made it home alive. We were very sad that we did not get to spend as much time as we wanted chasing monster fish but it is always good to spend time with Mark and Jim. I fished my new Fishcat Panther pontoon boat this weekend and will be doing a review on it next week, it will not be a homer review, some really great things and some things that make you scratch your head. Thanks as always for reading, Connell.








No comments:

Post a Comment