Monday, May 21, 2012

Lazy Man Fly Fishing........


  One of the funniest movies that no one has ever heard of was Woody Harrelson and Randy Quaid in a bowling movie named Kingpin. The two set off across the country hustling bowlers and trying to make enough cash so they could enter the World Championships of Bowling. When they finally make it to Vegas and walk into the arena, the camera pans around to the 400 pound, beer drinking, cigar smoking bowlers and Quaid, in total amazement says “wow, isn’t it amazing to be in the presence of some the greatest athletes alive”. I still laugh just thinking about it.

   I remember back to my early days of flyfishing when the only thing that seemed to matter were the number of fish I was catching. Cat and I would get to Grape Creek at about 8:00 a.m. and start hiking, with no supplies other than our rods, flies, waders and Maxwell my golden, we would get back to the car at 7 or 8 in the evening. Totally parched and starving (hungry), we would head to Canon and hit the Taco Bell , on the way, with dust coming out of our mouths with every word, we would giggle about the hundred or so fish we caught. Things Have Changed!!!!!

   This week Cat and I are heading to Walden and will be fishing the Delany Buttes. Our days will start when ever we feel like rolling out of out padded sleeping bags and out of the tent. Breakfast, bathroom and then onto the pontoon boats. Row out to what ever depth I am looking for, drop the anchor, cast out over the weed beds and sit back and relax. I will be trying out my brand spanking new Fishcat Panther pontoon boat and Cat will be on her Fiscat XL-IR. We will be fishing at about 17 feet so plumbobbers or some type of slip strike indicators are a must. My boat is supposed to be really good in the wind and easy to maneuver and I will be giving a review when I return. Early evening we will get off the water and eat, the menu for the week will be Beef Brisket one night Steak another and Grilled chicken another and we will finish it off eating at the little restaurant in Walden with the moose out front. The last few hours will be spent swapping fish stories with my brother in-law Jim and my good friend and own personal George Washington, Mark( if confused check In the shadows part one). 10:00 or so and off to the tent,zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.I expect to catch fish, however I will judge the trip not by the amount of fish but by how relaxed I feel when I get home and I wouldn’t even mind if Randy Quaid saw me on the water and said how amazing it is to see one of the worlds greatest fly fisherman, I will not be working it real hard…………..

No comments:

Post a Comment