Friday, June 22, 2012

Off The Wagon


  In the addiction recovery circles they call it a slip, which basically means that the afflicted falls to the temptation and jumps in with both feet to whatever addiction they are dealing with. For the readers that are not aware, I suffer from a fly fishing addiction that manifests itself in serious tendonitis of my wrist. I know, it is a good problem to have. Hehe .Most years as the Spring turns to Summer the rivers explode and keep me from fishing them from the last half of May and all of June and my wrist is able to have the rest that it needs for our Taylor trip that we always take right around the 4th of July. During that time I normally only fish my pontoon boat with my rod and reel set up left handed. Normally problem solved and fresh and ready for the Taylor.

    Not this year……

  The river this early summer has been in magnificent condition and fishing has been off the hook (pun intended, if you have fished it lately you know why). I decided mid June that I would hop on the wagon until the Taylor trip. Like most addiction stories I started out strong and totally convinced that I was doing the right thing. Then the trip up to Rainbow falls, shouldn’t count because it was work related. A week goes by and I am going strong with only a few slight urges. Then Cat and I decide to take Winston and Mushka to play in the river and watch other fishermen do their thing. Next I go out and watch Cat and her friends’ fish.  The AA saying was “if you hang out in a bar long enough, sooner or later you are going to have a drink”. Then I realize that my “supposed” most loyal support group, Cat and Winston, are no support at all. Cat showing me the fishing pics and Winston just staring into space with those eyes telling me to GO FISHING, The water is your friend…….

  I guess it always starts with good intentions. Some friends came by the shop today and one has been having problems landing fish. Ahhah, I should probably go to the river and see if I can help, and what the heck maybe I’ll just catch a few and then head home. One cast is too many and a thousand is not enough, I slipped big time. Got in about 3 and half hours with spotty results. Landed about a dozen or so with the largest measuring off at 21 inches, a 19 two 18’s and a bunch of the 12 to 15 inchers. The fly of the month continues to be the FOD in both grey and in the PMD colors, I know we don’t sell the PMD colored one in the shop but if you can tie and stop by the shop I can give you the recipe. As I sit and write I know I should have the guilt burning through my body but the only pain I can feel is a slight twinge in my wrist. I will quit again….Tomorrow……..

Slip 1-4






Enabler number one (should be in fish-er-non)


 

Enabler number two and could be considered a dealer.

  To all of our faithfull readers we would like to give a huge thank you. I know I try to make fun of most situations in my life and try not to be too offensive, but just in case I am, I am sorry for that as well but would like to give this little piece of advice. If you can't learn to laugh at yourself, then you are going to miss the greatest joke of your generation. Thanks ya'll, Connell, Cat and The Winston........and The Drift Fly Shop......

1 comment:

  1. No amount of healing can save you from the pain of getting owned by your own son on the Taylor sir. Myabe on the way home you can have a good reason to stop and heal for a while.ENVY!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete