Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday June 6th guide trip


   If you happen to see the little purple bruises up and down my arm, I can assure you that it is not my wonderful wife Cat being abusive. The last three days I have had to pinch myself over and over to make sure that I am not just dreaming that the first week of June is still fishing great. I was lucky to take Dave on a morning guide trip today and the theme of the day would be “VIOLENT TAKES”. We got to the water just a little after 8:00a.m. and after just a few casts Dave hooked his first fish, unfortunately he popped off. We spent the next half hour or so working on technique with only a few bumps. I switched out Dave’s point fly to a blood midge and first cast had the indicator shooting about four feet up river, a really nice bow came about a foot out of the water and then he was off. We moved down to the next hole and after a few casts the indicator shot down and across and the 4x tippet exploded. We rerigged and a few more casts hooked another pig and unfortunately he cleaned our clock as well. I assured Dave that sometimes the fish are just better than us and the next hook up landed this beautiful 19 inch bow. A few minutes later Dave landed one of those tank 14inch fatties. We moved down stream and more fish were hooked with one coming out of the water that my best guess would be 20 or 21. The last few takes were just as violent as the first few. The feeding seemed to shut off at about noon with the heat rolling in. I know Dave was a little frustrated with his landing percentage but these fish right now are amazingly strong. The big bow in my mind was quite an accomplishment; they don’t get that big by coming in easy. Thanks again for the opportunity to serve, Connell

No comments:

Post a Comment