Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fools In The Rain


  I don’t know if it is because I have spent the last twenty years living in the desert but when I look at the forecast and it says we could be looking at a few days of rain, I get a little excited and “Rain Songs” start rattling around in that open space just below my hat. I had been watching the weather forecast all week and found myself trying to help out Mother Nature with a little “Rain Dance “of my own. This morning when I was walking my dogs there was a cool light “Misty Mountain Hop” coming down and I got so excited that when I got home I told Cat that whatever her plans were for the day, they needed to change because we were heading to the river this afternoon. On the way to the river the mist turned into a steady “November Rain” and we started singing “Here Comes the Rain”. We got to the river at about 4:30 and were delighted to see we were the only “Fools In the Rain” and had the river to ourselves. Cat has always had a thing for the smell of rain, where as for me I think it is the sound it makes hitting the trees, the water, and even the pitter patter it makes on my rain shell.  I think we may have skipped half way to the water. The fish seemed equally excited with the rain and although I could not see any great hatches, the fish still seemed to be very active. The True Blood, RS2 and the Ninja were all taking fish on a regular basis. We didn’t land any piggies today but the thirteen to sixteen inchers we were tangling with I think were all related to Barry Bonds (post roids). The fish seemed to be spread out throughout the entire river. We were picking them up in shallow riffles, deep runs and the biggest fish we could see were slurping bugs off the top, in about a foot of dead quiet water. The “Purple Rain” started to taper off and “ We Could See Clearly Now the Rain Had Gone”. The rain had completely stopped by about 6:00 and a few other fishermen began showing up. We ran into Fabian and Rick.  Fabian just hooked a pig as we walked up and we watched with sadness as it flipped him the fin and broke him off.  Then at about dark he landed this eighteen incher, the pic did not turn out too well though because of the lack of light. Cat and I fished our way back to the car and stayed a little later than we had planned. I am not a night fisherman but I can certainly see the allure after listening to the surface activity after it was completely dark.

  Well we got home and I checked out the forecast for tomorrow and it looks as if the two days of rain has now been squeezed into just today(sad face), hopefully we get a little more because “ I Love a Rainy Night” and we could sure use a little more. It looks as if the fish have made it through another summer and fall should see some tremendous fishing action. The trees should start changing soon and make the upper Ark one of the most scenic places on earth to Fall dry fly fish.  As always, thanks for reading and putting up with my nonsense, You have no idea how many songs sing about rain, and we hope your days on the water are always pleasant. Connell and Cat





 

No comments:

Post a Comment