Monday, October 15, 2012

The FOD Emerger


  With the BWO season just around the corner, the shop, and Cat and I have had several requests for the recipe and directions for tying the FOD emerger so Cat and I produced a short video on the tying of the FOD. A little background on the FOD, I began working on this pattern several years ago with the idea of producing a bug that could be fished just off the bottom, what I found was that it worked throughout the water column and worked great on even the most picky tailwater fish. I knew it was a success when a size 22 was my best fly on our family Taylor trip about three years ago. The name came from my brilliant wife Cat, a few years ago we had watched maybe the dumbest Jack Black movie of all time. The movie was about he and his brother Kyle searching for the “pick of destiny” that they believed would turn them into the next great Rock and Roll band. The movie to most people was horrible but it had Cat and I rolling on the floor. Well anyway, the next day we were up on Grape creek and I was fishing an early version of this fly and Cat asked me what I was catching fish on, I told her it was the new one I had been working on and she said we should call it the “ Fly-O-Destiny” and immediately I was hooked on the name. I, like Jack Black, believe that this fly is the key to being the next great fly fisherman……Jk, but I love the fly and don’t go anywhere without an assortment of them. The bug can be tied with a bead head as well, and I have done well with them in the color grey, light olive, purple and white and yellow for a PMD emerger. I hope you enjoy the pattern as much as I do and as always thank for reading, Connell

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Jordy. Thanks for all of your positive feedback and support! We look forward to meeting you in the shop one day. To answer your question about the FOD, they are for sale at the Drift Fly Shop. If you are unable to come in and buy them you can call and order them over the phone and they will be mailed to you. (719)543-3900. Thanks again and happy fishing!

      Delete