Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Addicts On the Arkansas; Reprise


  My wife and I have decided to fish the next day and the cycle begins. 7:00 p.m. rolls around and I begin to think about the flies I will need to have for tomorrow. Check the weather forecast, high of 45 and a few high clouds. The little chill runs up my spine as I think about the midge hatch that should be smoking and the afternoon should see a few blue wings as well. I start with ten Ninjas, size 22, tie a couple FOD’s in size 20, and finish up with some size 24 of my “South Park” collection (Marklar, Tweak, and Starvin Marvin). It is much safer for anyone not tying to stay clear of the tying table. If you bump it, at the very least you will get death threats with the eyes. 10:00 p.m. rolls along and the tying has ended for the evening and on to the next task. Inspecting the rod I am to use tomorrow, the Winston B111-SX 4 weight. Pull it out of the tube and clean the ferrules, change out the leader, and even tie on the three flies I will start the morning with. Repack the rod and next, figure out the attire for the next morning. Go back to the computer and see if the forecast has changed in the last few hours, now it is a high of 46. Should be the perfect day for layering, a wicking long sleeve undershirt, a long sleeve “The Drift Fly Shop” fishing shirt and a windstopper vest will be perfect. Finally midnight rolls along and I give Cat my work plans for early tomorrow before we fish. We lay down and my brain goes immediately to the holes we will be fishing tomorrow: the drift through the bend hole, the back corner of the W weir, and the log deep runs have been fishing well as of late. Cat leans over and I can tell she is in the mood. Honey I am really tired tonight for sure tomorrow I say. Then in my mind back to the river…….drift off………..

And that is just the night before.
 With the New Year upon us I got to thinking about all the resolutions that people make in hopes of making life better. I started thinking about this blog I had written last year and hope that I never have to do anything about my addiction .
  An old addiction recovery saying went something like this “If you are NOT an addict than there is no way to explain and if you ARE an addict than no explanation is necessary.” If you understand how my fishing eves go, than you also know the day of, gets even worse. Reflecting on the last ten years or so, there is no doubt in my mind that I am completely, 100% addicted to flyfishing. Luckily for me, Cat has the same addiction. In the different addiction recovery programs, they will give you a test to let you know if you are afflicted with the particular addiction. I have decided to build my own test to determine if you are a flyfishing addict. It is very important to answer all questions truthfully.



1. Have you ever missed or played hooky from work to flyfish?

2. Have you ever lied to your spouse, parents, or friends about your whereabouts when fly fishing?

3. Have you ever caught yourself salivating while walking to your favorite hole?

4. Have you ever hid your flyfishing purchases from your spouse, parents, or friends?

5. Have you ever turned down a roll in the hay because you can only think about fish?

6. Do you own more than three flyrods and you actually think you know the difference in them all?

7. Do you spend more time repairing your waders than helping your spouse , parents, or friend

around the house?

8. Do you spend at least an hour a week hanging out at the local fly Shop, articulating your expertise?

9. Do you carry your book of fish pictures everywhere you go(Ben) and do you have more pictures of your fish than your family on your computer?

10. Have you ever had a fight with your spouse, parents, or friends as to the amount of time you spend flyfishing compared to the time you spend on them?

11. Can you recite the specs of your fly rods but can’t recall your spouse , parents, or friends birthday?

12. Is your rod and reel set-up worth more than your transportation to the river?

13. Have you ever planned your vacations around spawning cycles of fish?

14. Have you ever put on your favorite Fly Fishing shirt to go into a Fly Shop?

15. Have you ever considered throwing rocks at your favorite hole when you see a bait dunker in it?

16. Have you ever wasted your time reading or writing idiotic flyfishing blogs?

17. Have you ever been injured or have any conditions(tendonitus or better called wimpiness) due to excess flyfishing?

18. Have you ever named a pet after a flyfishing brand name?


The scale goes like this. If you answered 0 to 2 than you are a liar and you need to reread question number  16. Getting one to 16 makes you an addict, and remember that denial is the first sign of addiction. All kidding aside, having a serious addiction gene I can’t help to think about how flyfishing has partially saved my life. I have never been pulled over for DWD (driving while daydreaming of fish), arrested for public catch and release, and although close, never been arrested for fighting with bait guys. Flyfishing has given me the opportunity to share my addiction with the absolute love of my life(my wife, not Winston)although he loves it as well. Flyfishing has given me the opportunity to guide and teach my love for the sport with strangers and friends, and to meet some real awesome people that I would not normally associate with. An addiction, yes, but maybe we can start Flyfishers Annonymous and the first step in recovery will be to stop by The Drift Fly Shop and say hello. (719-543-3900)
http://www.thedriftflyshop.com/


If you are reading this blog than you are either a current friend or hope to soon to be a friend. Cat and I are both guides and shop employees at The Drift Fly Shop in Pueblo, Colorado (719-543-3900) and if you are in the area please stop by and swap stories or at least say hello. Remember, we are all in this affliction together…..





                                                                         

2 comments: