Sunday, November 3, 2013

Old Friends......


  Had an old friend in town today and it got me thinking of the first time I ever had a great day on the river. The year was 1990 and the second to the last day of the ski season I was throwing a helicopter and only made it three quarters of the way. When I landed and my shin slammed into the front of my boot I experienced the worst pain of my life. A week later my friend Kevin Neff called me and said we should go fishing before he headed to Alaska. I was apprehensive because of the pain but he assured me that he knew of a great place to fish. We drove up to Shadow Mountain dam and he said it would be a short hike down the river and we would fish where the river ran into Lake Granby. To this day the hike seemed like it was well over ten miles with every step feeling pain radiating up my leg. I’m sure if I made my way back up there it was probably a lot closer. Anyway we finally got to where we wanted to fish and we could see that just out of casting reach there was a small shelf that we wanted our hooks to get to. Now in those days I was throwing salmon eggs with an ultra light reel and two fish was a really good day. After a little frustration of not being able to get our casts out as far as we wanted we decided to get in the water. Now you have to remember that this was April, in the mountains and we had no waders. The initial shock from the cold was not enough to make us use our brains so we walked out to where we could cast to the shelf. First cast we caught a fish and then another and another and after a short time I lost all feeling in my legs so it actually felt good. We fished for about an hour and we realized that we had completely used up every bit of bait we had brought. I think we landed twenty fish between the two of us and at that point it was the greatest day I had ever had fishing.  We made the walk back to the car and as the feeling came back to my leg I though Kevin was going to have to carry me, luckily I made it, I don’t think he liked me enough to carry me.

  Unfortunately as life moves on people end up in different places and just lose touch. In those days there were no cell phones, Facebook or even internet so out of sight really meant out of mind. A couple of years ago Kevin was in Colorado and we got to hook up for a few days of storytelling and fishing and it was really great to see him after twenty years. Kevin was back in Colorado and came down today with his father to fish our little tailwater again. The river had cleared earlier this week so fishing and guide trips this weekend were amazing. I had told Kevin that he had perfect timing and the river was in pristine condition. Now keep in mind that Kevin has spent most of the last fifteen years guiding in Alaska so it takes a little to impress him. We got to the water about 9:30 and the first ten minutes was a headscratcher. The first thing I noticed was that the three feet of clarity from Saturday was back to less than a foot with the milky grey color. Cat headed to her spot and Kevin to the spot I told him and Kevins’ dad moved to the spot I told him so he could tie on his flies. As he was tying his last fly a guy walked up and Jerry very nicely said “done already” and the guy just kind of looked at him moved up ten feet and started to cast. I just had to laugh and say welcome to Pueblo… The day had moments, a few good fish a few small fish, way too many misses and way too many perfect drifts with no action. I think we caught more than we caught that day twenty plus years ago but the stakes have changed. Cat got the fish of the day at 19 inches and Kevin got a couple that went right around 17. The company was way better than the fishing today and I don’t remember ever spending that much time shooting the breeze. Kevin was always the kind of guy that would give you the shirt off his back and even loan you his car for six months so it sure was great spending the day with him and his father.

  Conditions today have definitely deteriorated today with clarity back at about a foot. I am only guessing that this is still the res trying to finish turning over. The hot flies of the day were the true Blood, the FOD, the Bling midge and even picked up a few on a big Adams. Not really sure what the river will to now but even with the poor clarity the fish still need to eat. As always, Connell, Cat, (Kevin and Jerry), and the Drift Fly shop would like to thank you for reading…



 

No comments:

Post a Comment