Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Pigeon Holed....


  This river never ceases to amaze me. I hooked up with an old golfing buddy today and fishing was a blast of cool air. The excitement started on the way to the river. A pigeon flew right up next to us while we were dressing in the parking lot and the while we were walking to the river he flew over my head and landed on my rod that I was holding out in front of me. I snapped a couple pics and then shooed him off onto a tree stump. I figured that would be the last time I ever saw him but about ten minutes later while I was standing in the river, he flew back over my head and landed on my rod again. I didn’t want him to interrupt my fishing so I stuck out my other arm and let him sit on it. I casted a few more times and hooked what felt like was a pretty good fish and then it hit me; how am I going to land this fish while I am using my off arm to hold up this bird. Well the fish slipped and as my rod jerked back the pigeon flew off. I was thinking maybe I needed to write the Webster people and give them a new definition for the term pigeon hole.

  On to the fishing, I had been working on some new tactics (I will write about them at a later date), and they worked pretty well today. Takes seemed to come in waves and we both hooked several fish. Nothing huge today but several between 16 and 18 inches. I watched Mitch hook one and wished I could have seen what put such an arc in his rod, but it was a great day anyway. Fish were on egg patterns almost exclusively today.

  Something to think about if you get to the river over the next few days; I was walking down river and was looking for fish when I ran into a rock and very nearly went down. I feel like I have great agility in the water but it was put to the test today. Luckily only my glove got wet but I started thinking how dangerous this arctic air can be. We were nearly a mile from the car and I am not sure I would have made it back had I gone all the way in. Please be safe, don’t fish alone and really pay better attention than me over the next few days. As always, thanks for reading, Connell, Cat, Winston, the Pigeon and The Drift Fly Shop……








 

2 comments:

  1. Pigeon is quite tasty if cooked properly. That yellow huevo looks awfully familiar, and kudos for pounding them out on a frigid day. Btw, you make it look too easy,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike, I love eating meat but am to much of a wimp to kill anything myself. We had the proper gear yesterday and so we really didn't get that cold until my hand got wet. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete