Friday, February 14, 2014

A Valentine's Day Tribute...


Hello all and hope you all have an incredible Valentine’s Day. With the day upon us, I started thinking about my incredible wife and how things have changed over the years. When we were dating I remember an evening that I had prepared a dinner that included corn fed Omaha Steak, shrimp scampi, a potato, chives, sour cream and bacon dish and finished off the dinner with fresh watermelon and strawberries drizzled with a cream cheese sauce. As we sat down to eat I couldn’t help but to gaze into the beauty that sat in front of me. At one point we both reached for the steak sauce at the same time and when our fingers touched, it was like 1000 volts of electricity running through my body and then looking up I could see fireworks flashing in her eyes. I couldn’t talk because a cheerful giggle filled my body. Shortly after we were married I remember an evening when Cat had worked a long shift and by the time she got home I had prepared a hot candle lit scented bath with a side of fresh strawberries and a bottle of wine. It was great, I was completely obsessed with Cat, I thought about her constantly and fantasized that someday it would be more than just an incredibly fun “May, December “relationship. Oh the days of infatuated obsession. I love my wife like nothing else on the face of the planet but boy have things changed. On Cat’s longest work day of the week I am a little ashamed to admit that the hot prepared bath has been exchanged for “do you want Taco Bell or Chipotle”, and the touch and fireworks seem to be replaced by “get in line”.  We talk about it from time to time and I ask Cat if she is bothered by the fact that I’m not very romantic anymore and she gives me a little “tisk” and exclaims that even though some things have changed, she feels like I am the most romantic man on the face of the planet.

  So, are you are wondering how I am going to transition to flyfishing? I had a guide trip out yesterday and I got to see some fishing that brought home the obsession. As most of my readers know, I am obsessed with sight fishing and January and February are not really conducive to that type of fishing. Yesterday we spotted one pretty nice fish and one of my clients got that look in his eye. I got both set up and while I was helping Tom, I watched out of the corner of my eye Dave’s obsession with the fish begin to grow.  I watched as he would sneak in and cast several times and then move away and give the fish a chance to rest his nerves. Dave changed his flies several times and at one point I watched him set the hook but to no avail. I walked back down to help( I understand obsession) and we switched up tactics and flies and I moved back up river to help Tom. I had barely reached Tom and I heard a sound that made me smile, it was a “ciggle” with a man’s voicing. Yep, I hustled back to Dave and the grin seemed to be miles wide, he worked the fish all the way in and it was a beautiful, just over 18inch, hook jawed, ornery, old, Buck brown. Nothing quite like stalking your prey and bringing it to the net was written on Dave’s face the rest of the day. Unfortunately, just before I snapped the pic, Dave put on his "Tiger Woods, I've been here before face". We fished all day with several nice fish to the net. Tom landed the fish of the day, a chunky rainbow that was just a hair under 19 inches. Dave also picked up a 15 inch walleye. Fishing was not easy but the hard work and obsession of Dave and Tom produced an enjoyable day.

  I was expecting to see fish in staging areas and even a few getting in the Valentine’s Day spirit but the fish seemed to still be hunkered down most of the day. The forecast shows a continuing warming trend and I hope continues to warm the water, temps were approaching 43 degrees at Moffat yesterday.

  I am so lucky to have a wife that not only joins my fishing obsession but also encourages it. I don’t expect all women to love fishing as much as my wife does but I want to take this moment to thank all those incredible women out there that continue to support and even encourage our obsessions. Flyfishing is expensive and time consuming and you continue shower us with your love and approval. Without your support in our flyfishing obsessions, we could not be the people we are today So, Cat, Kim, Janet, Diane, Tracy and Dawn, Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you make life worth living…

  As always, Thanks for reading, Connell, Cat, Winston, Cupid and The Drift Fly Shop….
















No comments:

Post a Comment