Sunday, April 6, 2014

Sloppers and Mayflies


Hello All!  This is Cat, I am sorry but I stole the reins on the blog tonight and this post is going to be lacking the charms, humor, and Breaking Bad, Connell typically includes…. Sorry J
The Ark offered an amazing day of fishing today!  But, the true key to our success happened before we even got in the car.  Anyone who knows Connell and I understands that we have the whole yen and yang thing going.  While I often flutter through life “living in the moment” and often “flying by the seat of my pants” Connell is always prepared and always looking ahead.  As I was heading to the door Connell asked me why I hadn’t grabbed my raincoat.  I looked out the backdoor and the blue sky outside and I am sure gave him a “you’re kidding me right?” look, this was immediately followed by an explanation that the news promised rain……… and sure enough Connell saved the day.  We were not out there more than half an hour when the sky opened up and everyone not married to the amazing Connell made a mad exit off the river. 
With our raincoats on and fish feeding it was a good day.  We fished from Valco parking lot down to the Log Hole and then back up to Apple’s.  The water clarity was good but the cloudiness made sight fishing a little more difficult than it had been the last several weeks.  The fish fed eagerly off and on all day and who could blame them with the coming of the BLUE WINGS!! BWO’s were pop’in most the day and fish fed eagerly both subsurface and on top.  The mayflies ranged in size from 20 to 16 and midges were in on the party as well.  Between the two of us we hooked about forty fish.  Most of the fish were in the 15-16 range and unfortunately no pigs to the net today, but a few were hooked.  The hot flies of the day included the Tube Wing Midge #24, GB RS2 Grey #22, and SOL #24.  Connell also picked up fish on a parachute Adams #18.
So you might be wondering why I titled this blog Sloppers and Mayflies….. When Connell and I are not guiding on Sundays, it is our special “fishing together” day and these days always include Sloppers for dinner!  Today was no different and as we finished our day gorging ourselves on thick green chili over hamburgers we dreamed about all those fish who had gorged on our flies!! 
As always thanks for reading, Cat, Connell, Winston, and the staff at Mi Ranchito!!









No comments:

Post a Comment