Monday, May 12, 2014

The On Switch.....

  One of the truly great things about flyfishing is that if you want to, you can always learn something new. It’s funny how I spend so much time on tailwaters that at times I begin to think that I know it all. Luckily for me I get to hear so many different flyfishing idealoligies that I hope I will continue to learn new strategies till the day I die. Many years ago in my pre flyfishing days I spent a little time at the reservoir and found it to be a really difficult place to fish. I would go for hours without so much as a bump and even though I would get frustrated, I couldn’t wait to give it another try. After moving strictly to flyfishing, I kind of lost my desire to fish the reservoir until the last few years of listening to our lake guide Cody talk about the reservoir. Cat and I were lucky enough to meet Cody several years back and Cat and I had the pleasure of teaching and learning from him over the years. Cody and Alex were part of a DOW video a few years back and the action of the video totally peaked my interest. Cody offered to take us anytime we wanted but the conditions last year just never turned on. Cody was expecting this year to be good, and advised the shop employees that hopefully by mid May the Reservoir should turn on. He had been out several times and in April and early May and said the water just hadn’t warmed up enough. On Friday, Cody walked into the shop with that big old grin, which can only come from two things, and said that today was the day. He went on to tell me that the fish that were nowhere to be found five days prior , had began to move into a place where they can be caught. Saturday evening he invited us to go out with him on his boat.
  Cat, Brandon and I accepted the invite and met him Saturday after work. Cody treated us like clients and said he had everything we needed. I would love to say that I wasn’t skeptical due to my earlier years attempts on that piece of water, but I thought even if we didn’t catch fish, I couldn’t think of better company to spend my Saturday evening with. Once in the boat, Cody sped us over to the spot he wanted us to begin and my family was to prideful to start and asked him to show us the way to catch these fish. He casted twice and then with a quick strip set, the rod bent over and I just smiled, it was so awesome to watch someone truly masterful at his craft. Cat was so excited that she jumped up next and a few casts in she hooked and landed another smallie. Cat then went on to land a few more and then it was my turn, a few casts and my first reservoir, flyfishing smallie. Cody set up another rod and got Brandon into the action as well. Cody reiterated to us about how late last week the switch just turned on and everything changed and the next six weeks or so should be very productive. We fished until dark and had an absolute blast, we caught lots of smallies, a large mouth and I even landed a walleye. I have to admit, on the drive home that evening, buying a boat bounced around in my head a little. I don’t think that will happen so I will make sure we stay on Cody’s good side.
  If you have ever considered learning to flyfish the reservoir, I think this is the time to call the shop and book Cody for a trip. It looks as if the river will have a little reprieve this week but we don’t really think that will last very long. I know Cody’s time is filling up fast so set your trip quickly. I wish we had more pics from the other night, I can’t believe I forgot a camera. Maybe it was my subconscious skepticism, I won’t make that mistake again. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Cody(the res whisperer), and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..
 
 
 
To check out the video of Cody and Alex slaying the fish on Pueblo Rez click HERE
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment