Sunday, November 16, 2014

Go Big ___!!!!!!


  As I lay down to sleep last night it was with an incredibly heavy heart. Ito took everything I had to not start drinking again. Luckily I had to work most of the day so I missed most of the game, but the parts I did see, were Melvin Gordon running wild. 408 yards echoed through my head all evening. 408 yards, Are you kidding me, I don’t think my new cars warranty is that long. Was the defensive strategy to wear down the running back by continuing to make him run? It was a sad evening in the O’Grady household but as I woke this morning I had a great idea as to how I can fix these horrible feelings that consumed me. First I could remove half of my teeth and then smack myself in the head a few times with a hammer to dumb myself down and finally pick a SEC team to become a fan of. My next thought was there has got to be a better way, and I can think of a couple things that always make me feel better; fishing and ___.

 So Cat and I decided to go fishing today. Earlier this week Cat and I hit the river and had one of our best days of the fall. With the feelings of dread still seeping through my veins I was worried that a less than stellar day might do more harm than good. That was NOT the case today. It took a little while for the fish to really get active today but when they did it was lights out( no Husker defensive pun there). BWO’s began hatching just before 1:00 and they kept the fish interested all day. Even though the BWO’s were everywhere, fish seemed to be drilling everything we threw at them. The excitement of the day was when I hooked this fish that gave me a battle for the ages(unlike my Huskers), I hooked him and twice he ran under branches and twice I steered him through. He headed upriver and then turned and ran below me. I got one look at him when he was just a foot below the surface and he looked like a monster brown. I finally worked him away from all the trouble and saw nothing but slow deep water in front of him and I knew he was mine. Kind of like what Melvin Gordon saw all day yesterday and then, the hook just popped out, all that work and it just popped out. The lowlight of the day was Cat hooked this beautiful fish and fought it for a little while and I had the whole thing on video, after she landed it I went to take a pic and I got an error message and I lost all the footage. I went to snap a pic and the same thing happened, what I can say is that it was a very nice fish.

 I was right about one thing, fishing always makes me feel better. As we got back to the car, cat and I did a quick fist pump and my feelings were repaired and life felt like it was worth living again. I turned on the radio to see how the Bronco’s did today and it sounds like I may need to hit the river again tomorrow.

 With the drop in flows the river felt as technical as I have seen in quite some time. Hopefully with the lower and clearer water the piggies will be less apt to munch on power bait or worms. Casts, drifts, and hooksets all  needed to be precise today and it was game on when they were fulfilled. The pics are from the last few days out. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, The Badgers and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……..









 

No comments:

Post a Comment