Wednesday, February 11, 2015

No Excuses....

  Hey all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. Being both a father and a boss I have many times over the years used the saying “no excuses”. Probably more often than I like to admit I was just being an a-ho**, but every now and then It was possibly for a little tough encouragement. “Get over it” was a saying that sure got a lot of mileage over the years. I don’t know if it is old age, wisdom, or just a dose of tough reality but January and February I sure find myself using a few excuses and not really getting over it. Fishing can be really difficult but days like today make it all worthwhile
 I had a few clients down from Denver today and I was actually excited about the forecast for the morning. Using all my expertise and extreme knowledge, I let my clients know that with the early cloud cover and the clouds burning off after lunch, that fishing should be pretty good in the morning and taper a little as the sun appears. Well some of my predictions came true, well kind of. We fished deep runs in the morning with the occasional takes. A few dinks and a couple of suckers and several shoulders of shame were all we could muster before lunch. After lunch we moved into a different section and began picking up a few more fish. The river for a few minutes felt like it was coming alive and even the lost fish were really getting us something to get excited about. We continued to work our way down and we stepped into one of my favorite feeding lanes on the river. The last few time I fished that run I walked away with my tail between my legs and with any number of excuses. Today we needed no excuse; I have not seen fish eating like that since mid December. Just two casts in and as we were waiting for our flies to reach our target shadow, the indicator shot up river. We lost that fish but the river once again felt alive. Twice today both clients were hooked up at the same time. It was the first time I have ever had two fish in the net at the same time, from two different clients. Smiles were plastered across all our faces and after about forty five minutes or so it was like Forest Gump himself stood behind us and said “ And then one Moment the fish stopped”. Yep the switch turned off but for that short time on the river, no excuses were needed. Congrats guys, you were awesome.
 Fish were taken on a variety of flies today, and Jim if you are reading, my clients say thanks. I can tell you which fly the fish took the next time you are in the shop. Dinner bell was between 2:00 and 3:00 and mornings are still seeing the fish sitting deep. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Jim E’s flies and The Drift Fly shop want to thank you for reading….
 Also, if you live in the Denver area Cat will be doing her “Seeing Insects the Trout Way” at the Cherry Creek Trout unlimited meeting. Would love to see you all there. The meeting is held at:
  Parker Senior Center
  10675 Longs Way
  Parker, Co

February, 12th from 7:00 P.M. til 8:45









1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Glad that your blog continues to be a first person opportunity to look into the workings of fly fishing. That should help our analysis of its mechanics a great deal, as well as serve as pointers for when we can import the right equipment to improve the various area of the practice. Thanks a lot for sharing! All the best to you!

    Kathleen Gardner @ Bid 2 Fish

    ReplyDelete