Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Arkansas River 2/22/2015

 Hello all, I wanted to give a quick report on the river. As most of you know, the river was increased by 75cfs on Friday afternoon. The front moved in Friday evening so I wanted to get out Saturday and see how the river has been affected. I got to the river at around 1:00 and got a phone call from friends that had been out all morning; they said it had been sparse. The light was very dim and sighting was very difficult. I spent the first hour and a half just hitting runs that fish well between 150-250cfs and did not even get a sniff. I worked my way back up river and found one run that had feeding fish. In an hour or so I think I landed 8 total fish but one of them was a Bugle Mouthed Bass. And as quickly as the fish started to eat, they stopped equally as fast. I went home and checked water temps and saw that the 43 degrees the gauging station had topped out at all week was now below 40. The biggest fish of the day took a size 20 FOD and everything else took a 22 J-bomb.

 Next week’s weather forecast looks like we have reentered winter. Fishing will most likely be spotty with times of greatness. If you get to the river keep your expectations real and you should have a great day. I am guessing that when spring weather returns, the fishing ought to explode. The increase in flows will certainly spread out the fish and give anglers a little elbow space. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….




No comments:

Post a Comment