Sunday, May 31, 2015

Spinney Highlights (With Video)

          Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. What a difference a week has made with the weather. After last week’s rough trip to the Delaneys, Cat and I noticed this weekend looked much better so we scheduled a do-over of types to Spinney.
          As most of our readers know, I consider myself to be quite the college football recruiting junkie. I so much enjoy watching high school highlight reels from Husker prospects. Now I do have to say though, that a few years ago I realized how some of the highlight reels can really be skewed, especially when it comes to the QB position. A few years back, I was watching the reel of a committed Husker QB and I was thrilled to see how many awesome plays the kid was making. He was a high four star recruit and his film showed it. Later that year someone posted the complete game of that QB's and I couldn’t wait to watch. Fist play was an option and he gained 8 yards, sounds great but if the QB had pitched to the running back he may still be running. A few plays later and he threaded the needle for a nice gain, the only problem was that he never saw the blown coverage up the sideline. After watching the whole game I found myself longing for just the highlights. So it got me thinking about some of the videos that Cat and I do.
          Last week we had a few people who had viewed our Delaneys video comment about how awesome we had done, when in reality, Cat and I felt like we got schooled. I guess we have gotten pretty good at highlight reels. Anyways, that was not the case with today’s quick video, today was nothing but highlights! Cat and I made it to Spinney at around 8:00p.m. , and if you know Cat at all, you know the early morning definitely had Cat off her game. Today was only the second time we have fished Spinney from our pontoons, so we didn’t have really high expectations. We started very near to each other and kicked our way up the bank, targeting different depths. (the new fins we have in the shop are worth every cent). When I got to the depth I was looking for, I missed a few fish pretty quickly. I sat tight for a while as Cat continued to try different depths. The fish then moved into my area and it was on, I hooked quite a few today and landed more than my share. The biggest was a measured 24 inch bow, with several in the 19 to 22 inch range. For some reason, I had never thought of Spinney as a Brown Trout lake, but I did manage to get two to the net. For me it was just one of those incredible days. Cat (remember this all happens before she usually wakes up) had one of those highlight reels: Early on she intercepted a pass and was returning it for a touchdown but was caught from behind and fumbled, she had a few well thrown balls dropped by receivers but luckily she finished off the day with an incredible  21 inch “ Hail Mary”.
          To finish off the blog, I am offering the same deal that the shop offered this time last year. We totally understand that fly fishing lakes can be a little daunting for those whom have spent their fishing days on the river, so to help you out, anyone who purchases an Outcast or Fishcat pontoon from the shop will get a *FREE* sit down with myself or Cat and we will go over rigging, flies, how to fish lakes, and I might even throw in some of my special lake flies. (This will be a discussion about pursuing trout. If your into the warmer water stuff Cody is your guy). If you’re interested in this deal, just let us know when you come in to order your boat. After spending another incredible day with my Accel, the offer will also be extended to anyone purchasing an Accel setup. The rod is the ultimate lake weapon.
            I want to finish by saying the my pup has really been sad, he watches as we load our gear, and his expression just goes blank as we head out without him. I can’t wait to get back on the river with him, but these lakes sure can silent the urge. As always, Connell, Cat, a Sad Winston, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..






No comments:

Post a Comment