Monday, August 10, 2015

Cutties, Tigers and Bows, Oh My !!!!

            Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. As I woke up deep in the Dog Days of summer on August 8th, I jumped on the DWR website to check the flows. I shook my head again and wondered, will this spring runoff ever end? Cat and I definitely felt the need to fish, and even more so, we needed to be out of cell phone range. I absolutely love our tailwater and really couldn’t imagine living anywhere else, but sometimes at this time of the year you just want to get to the mountains. Our destination on Sunday was North Lake and my mission; check Tiger trout off my species list.
            We got started a little late and as we were nearing the lake clouds began to roll in. Not that we were worried, we came prepared but I was really looking forward to a relaxing day. We got in and right away it was on, Cat had to run back up to the car to check on something and before she got in the water I had already landed 5 bows. Cat jumped in and on her second cast she landed a Tiger trout. I could feel the pressure in my mind building, so I began to will the Tigers that much more to eat my fly. My takes slowed a little and Cat went “Gonzo” every time I glanced over she was playing another fish. Then she calls out another Tiger and then a Brookie and then even a Salmon. I finally landed back to back Cutties and just as I began to feel a little better about myself, it happened; I landed my first Tiger!!! WooHoo, not big but a Tiger. Next fish was another and another; I landed 6 by the time the day was over. There’re GGGRRREEAATT!!!!
            What a great day spent on the lake today. Cat was actually keeping a tally today and she finished with 35 in hand. I wasn’t counting but I think I caught my fair share. Now as for the river here in P-town; the river dropped under 800 and then went back to a little over. Clarity is inching better at a very slow crawl but fish are still eating when bugs are hatching. If you make it out start with your first fly just a little large and then trail with typical P-town flies. Tricos in the morning and PMD’s and Caddis the rest of the day. There seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for our beloved but if you need something mountainess, head to North. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Tony the Tiger, and The Drift Fly shop want to thank you for reading….

             














No comments:

Post a Comment