Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Nature of the Hunt


          Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I sat down this morning with Christmas songs humming through my brain and I was planning on writing my yearly “Merry Christmas “blog and then I made a huge mistake. I jumped on my Facebook feed and in two and a half videos my mind went from pure Christmas joy to pure Nature. The first video on my scroll was a pelican grabbing a pigeon and slowly draining the life out of him in his gullet. The next video down was an absolutely gorgeous eagle swooping in and was so powerful that he took down a goat. The final video was like watching a proverbial train wreck; a lioness sat behind a bush as a line of wildebeests ran by. I remember watching the Lion King many years ago with my youngest and even though the cartoon showed lions as thoughtful and nice, I knew that I didn’t want to see it but I could not take my eyes off. The lioness flinched on a few occasions but was waiting for the perfect meal. I felt completely paralyzed and was unable to scroll down or look away and the out of nowhere, a giant male lion came flying past and took down his dinner. At last, my trance was lifted and I quickly scrolled down my feed but not before my Christmas thoughts had been removed from my head.
          Now I know some of you may have heard this story before but I’m pretty sure this is the first time it has made the blog. Now I know with most of my stories either get better or more epic with time, this one may go the other way. When I was in high school I had a friend that asked me if I wanted to go hunting with him. My family had never really been in to that and I thought that I might as well give it a try. The first day out we only ran across one pheasant, when he took off I quickly aimed and got off a couple of rounds. The bird was not harmed, but the feeling of complete power raced through my veins. Shortly after that I began practice shooting and quickly became a proficient pheasant hunter and the power feeling began to grow. Pheasants, rabbits, geese and even trying to figure out how to move up the ladder into big game and then one day I had what some people call a “come to God moment”. It was like any other November day with me and my trusty sidekick German Sheppard at my side and I flushed a rooster. Like second nature I raised, shot and watched the bird fall out of the sky. I hurried over to make sure that he didn’t run off and as I reached for him he turned his head and looked me square into the eye and somehow, telepathically asked me why I hurt him.  I froze and probably felt like the Grinch after hearing the songs out of Whoville. I went home that day and after cleaning my gun, I put it in its case and I don’t think it has been out since. Yes, I am very aware that I am a wuss and maybe even a hypocrite. You see I love a good steak, chicken, a Christmas turkey and I have even been to Cody’s for dinner and eaten, venison, salmon, crappie, and elk(my mouth is watering), I guess I just can’t handle the kill.
          So as I’m writing this blog it has become crystal clear to me why I love fly fishing so much. You see I have never missed the kill (excluding maybe a few bait fisherman, poor drivers or certain politicians)jkjk, but the hunt was missing for many years. And it might even explain why I can’t look away on the videos. The Eagle dropping in and its wings partially collapse, you can almost see the air holding him up. The lioness patiently plotting out which beast to take down and the pelican using its different mouth muscles snuffing out the pigeon. Its kind of funny that even still today when I sit down to tie, I find myself slightly salivating because this might be the fly that lands my fish of the day. When I get to the river and I see “my spot” open, I find myself feeling like the eagle swooping in. And with the lions, if you wait too long to take the cast, I might just take it out from under you, good thing the line of fish is still there. And the best thing of all, you can net the fish, take a quick pic, release the fish and on the way home, stop and eat a slopper.
          So if you have skipped the hunt of this fly fishing blog and have moved straight to the kill then this is your start. The river temps this week have moved the river into a really tricky zone. Personal days and guide trips have been fun but not easy. On the days when the water warms even just a little, we have seen some great BWO hatches. On the days when the water never really warms the BWOs have been sparse and midges seem to be the meals. The FOD has been the ticket before 2:00 p.m. and after the fish have been on Ninjas and Black Beauties. The adult Thorax BWO  has still been attracting lips. So as I close out this blog I want to go back to what Cat and I initially wanted to say; We hope that all of you have an incredible Christmas and we hope to see you all on the river next year. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Simba, and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……









No comments:

Post a Comment