Sunday, January 17, 2016

Commencing Countdown Engines On.....


      Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Blog. Every now and then it hits me that something is more intertwined in my life than I had ever thought it to be. I have written many times over the years about my Huskers, my family, pets, and even a little about Ozzy and Zepp. At times I feel that I might have shared every bit of my life, but when I woke up Monday morning and saw that David Bowie was gone, I realized it was his turn to be in the spot light. As I read the sad news memories overwhelmed me, almost as if my life was flashing before my eyes, and attached to them, David Bowie.    
            I think the year was 1974 or 5 and my family had just made it to our cousins’ house in San Jose. Our station wagon pulled up to the house, I’m sure we looked just like the Grisswalds, and as soon as we got into the house my cousin Greg pulled us into his room and said he made a play for us. I had never heard Space Oddity before and his performance was complete with a space capsule he made out of his bunk bed and with him acting out the Major Tom part. It was the first time I think my conscience had ever connected with a song and to this day I still get teary eyed when the song comes on. Several years later I remember going to see Labyrinth with a couple friends and at times people think they have passed the bog of eternal stench when they come near. A few years later when I was thoroughly entranced in the darkest part of my life, Ziggy Stardust somehow became my theme song. Now the brightest recollection of Bowie came many years later when after marrying the absolute love of my life, Cat, she and I were on the road listening to the radio and China Girl came on. I looked over and saw Cat tearing up and she explained that her mom had always said that it was HER song. So yeah, that became another Bowie memory.
          So if you are trying to figure out how I will turn this blog back to fly fishing, it is simple. As our readers have picked up over the years, January is NOT my favorite time of the year to fish. Yes fish can be caught and good times can definitely be had, but simply said not my favorite time of year. Now the great thing about looking down at the date and seeing it is already the 17th tells me that January is more than half way over. So as I go out over the next four weeks I will use Bowie as my guide. Every day the sun is getting a little higher and we are one day nearer to the fish coming out of their winter slumber, the days will be counted down till the fish lift off. Commencing countdown, till the fish are on. Check your fly box and may God’s love be with you....
       Fishing today was a nice walk in a river waving a stick. Cat, Winston, and I got to the water around noon and fished an area we hadn’t hit in a while. We fished for a couple hours and got a total of four hook-ups between the three of us. The bugs didn’t come out to play today and the fish were to nervous about the football game to eat (makes sense to me). The pictures below are from a guide trip on Wednesday. As always thanks for reading, Connell, Cat, The Goblin King, and Winston.   



No comments:

Post a Comment