Sunday, March 6, 2016

Bad Wing and All...


          Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures blog. It’s been three long weeks since I stepped into the river and I think the fish missed me. I’m not sure my doctor said it was completely okay to start fishing again but he did say it was time to begin slowly working it back into shape. My plan was to fish lefty all day long but the new wing felt pretty good even casting righty, although I may go through a little extra ice this evening. When questioned about March conditions I always tell people that it can be real hit or miss, today it was on. Fish were out and they were eating!

          Cats guide trip out yesterday really had us chomping at the bit. We got to the river around 11:00 and on the third cast I knew I was where I belonged. He wasn’t large but a colored up 13 incher and my smile was there to stay. We moved down river and Cat jumped into her new favorite run. I wanted to do plenty of recon today and it sure payed off. I found one run with several red stripes and I hooked three of them. When those fish had had enough, I moved up and found another bunch, several more hookups and after more recon I found still another pod of feeding fish. I would love to tell you how many piggies I landed today but my landing percentage may have been my worst ever. I would like to blame it on the bad wing but I think in reality, today the fish were just better than me. I don’t think I will have any problem telling the time this evening after having my clock cleaned so many time today. Anyhow we continued down river and kept finding pods of fish, and yes they continued to kick my tail. Cat got several nice fish all the way in today and it was an incredible day to be out. Hopefully it will be a long time before I need to take three weeks off from fishing, it was so good to be home.

          Fish today were on peg eggs and Ninjas. We have no idea how long these flows will continue so I would suggest you get to the river. A reminder for all, Saturday the 12th the Drift will be hosting the Fly Fishing Film Tour at the Runyon theater in Pueblo, it should be an absolute ball. You can get discounted tickets at the Drift and regular priced at the door. Hope to see you all there! As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Dr. Davis and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading………









1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update! I need to get back on the ARK soon! Love watching your videos and thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete