Thursday, April 14, 2016

A Day Guides Dream Of......

          Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures Blog. As the title states, this was the kind of day a guide dreams of. While on our way to the river I was getting acquainted with Becky and after appearing a little uncomfortable and looking around my car, she eventually asked where the dog was. I know Winston gave me a dirty look this morning after seeing me pack my net, but now there were two entities that wanted him there. Oh well, and for future guide trips, if you want Winston to come along, you must let me know ahead of time and in addition to my huge tip, you will be responsible for a burrito or two for Winnie.
          On to the fishing, Becky grew up here in P-town but has been away for many years. She has had a huge desire to really sharpen her skills as a fly fisherman, but work and life had kept her a little wet behind the ears. She has read the blog over the years and thought that her home town would be a great place to continue her fishy education. We got to the water just a little after 11:00am and the fish were going nuts. We worked a little on seeing the fish and a little on different drifts, and just a few casts in Becky landed a 15 inch bow. I looked a little silly, because I told her that NO ONE ever lands there first P-town fish. To make me look even sillier, she landed her first four hookups, an 18, 19, and a 20. And yes we have a new member of the 20inch club(And she received her hat).
Eventually, she finally began fishing like the rest of us and alternated break offs, landing and spit hooks throughout the day. We got into one spot and we saw a very nice brown, but just about the time she told me that she had never caught a brown he disappeared. Toward the end of the day Becky fought and landed the beauty of the day, he was an absolute gorgeous male bow with not a mark on him. Unfortunately, after measuring, Becky’s hands were a little shaky and a little too slick. L Perhaps the fish was picture shy. As the day was finishing out we made that one last stop, after a quick break off and retie, Becky began fighting another fish, when he exploded out of the water I could see it was a brown. With bulged eyes, she flawlessly worked the Brown to the net. Was this enough to bring Becky back to P-town, only time will tell and a brown trout can be checked off her bucket list.

          The river today was outstanding. If you have been contemplating a guide trip I would say to book now, we have no idea how long these great flows will last. Shop phone is 719-543-3900 my cell is 719-568-4927. Fish today were on FOD’s and Ninjas. As always, Connell, Cat, Jealous Winston, Becky and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….







2 comments: