Sunday, April 17, 2016

Cat-less B-day Fishing....


          Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures blog. I don’t remember the last time Cat and I didn’t fish together on her birthday but with Alex celebrating her special day by going to Wyoming, Cat got stuck in the shop. And that meant Winston and I spent the day baching it. Work issues didn’t allow me to get to the river until around noon. The river had another bump today but didn’t really seem to matter. The first hour was pretty slow, but when the bugs began to hatch, fish began to eat. The fish today were very aware of the extra strength they could get from the main current and they headed that way almost every hookup. I had just landed my fattest fish of the day when Tyler showed up. He told me that he had just kicked tail this morning and I told him the river was getting the better of me. We fished our way up river and he said maybe all the fish were in the run he was fishing this morning. We walked up to his “Secret spot” and before he could get in, someone else jumped in. The run was still hot and we watched a guy hook several fish. We mover up and after thinking about the look of the “secret run”, I thought about one that was similar. I moved in at I fished it like a normal Rocky road trip. A few casts in and I hooked and landed a 15incher. The next seven hookups were all lost, some spit the hook early and I think three came unbuttoned as I was lifting for the net (dumb bullpen). I landed number 9, a chunky 19incher and then I hooked, and lost the next three. Two wins and 10 losses, sound about right. As I was heading back to the car I saw Tyler jump back into his “secret run” and hook 3 out of 4 casts. I wonder if he may be right, the hole is full of fish.

          I don’t feel bad about abandoning my wife on her birthday because I think she got the coolest gift ever on Friday, and I’m not talking just about me. If you are not aware, Cat is an absolute book freak, she owns boxes and boxes and has even written a novel. Our friend Tyler has posted several pics over the years of some incredible woodwork that he does. I began to conspire with him a few months back about building Cat the coolest bookshelf ever, I had two requirements, that it be personal to Cat, and that it needed to be Tyleresque. The bookcase was not necessarily built for Cats B-day but the timing worked pretty well. The Case made it on Friday and when I saw it for the first time, it nearly brought me to tears. The case was built with inlays that looked like cats BWO tattoo and another that looked like Cat. The unveiling for Cat couldn’t have been any better, where my tears were held back, Cat let them go. Anyway, I wanted to give a quick shout out for Tyler’s work.  If you are looking to have any specialized woodwork built, I would definitely get with Tyler, he is spectacular. His number is 719-251-3341 and the wood rack in the front of the store is also his work.

          Fish today were on FOD’s, Black Beauties and Ninjas. With the bump in the flow, please be extremely careful when wading. Tyler said he hid a secret bomb in Cat’s bookshelf and will detonate if I post the spot, but he was okay if I use it in a guide trip. I am available Tuesday or later in the week. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Tyler and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……

PS Pueblo Tailwater Renegades are hosting a river clean up on April 23rd. They will be meeting up at 8:30am at the Valco ponds parking lot. Refreshments will be available, but please bring your own work gloves. This is a great way to give back to the river we love and we encourage anyone who can make to come!

         

         







No comments:

Post a Comment