Thursday, November 17, 2016

Been There Before....




           Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. Winston and I headed to the river today and like usual, my mind was on the move. I have been pretty quiet about my 8-2 Huskers this year because I figured as soon as I started talking, the bottom would fall out. Two weeks ago I was watching the awful OSU game and I really found myself getting annoyed. Not just by the fact that we got smoked like a Christmas turkey, but more so by a few actions of a few of the Huskers. At one point the Huskers were already way down and they got a first down. The player jumped up and gave the first down sign as if he was saying, “I’m a bad man.” As an observer, I was thinking maybe he ought to check the scoreboard. Now on the good character side, I remember when Jerry Rice was playing. Maybe one of the best receivers ever and after every TD there was no celebration and he would just hand the ball to the ref. I remember seeing an interview with him and they asked him why he didn’t celebrate and he said that he always wanted to act like he had been there before. He was so easy to root for, except in Super Bowl XXIV of course. Anyway, while reminiscing about acting as if I had been there before, my mind drifted to Winton’s odd behavior today, and a few of my own reactions on the river.
            Last weekend I spent a few hours with an old fishing friend and his pup. I hooked one fish and after it came out of the water a few times I could feel that it had slipped and was now foul. I remarked “darn” and then the fish came completely loose. I had to laugh because I could remember several years back I had had one of my more embarrassing moments on the river in front of Steve. I was still a little green and I had hooked what felt to me like a fish that needed to be named Moby, and after a brief and ferocious battle, the fish snapped my line. At the top of my lungs, I screamed a word that has no business in public and then stood in utter silence. I started walking off and looking up I saw that Steve had moved up in front of me and he was staring at me as if he was trying to figure out who could be using that kind of language. Yep, it was a little embarrassing and a couple of thoughts went through my head. Do I really want to be known as the potty mouth guy and maybe I should act like I had been there before.
            So the other thing going on today was that Winston was acting really strange. When Pooh-dog was young, I remember several times getting really annoyed because he would keep getting between me and a fighting fish. The last several years he has really been great and has only really gotten in the way of one fish. Right off the bat today I started hooking fish and every time I turned around, Winston was under my feet and would cut me off to the fish. Has my fall been that bad that he had forgotten how to act? A couple of times I actually had to walk him back to the bank and made him sit but as soon as I hooked another fish he was right there beside me again. At one time, I remember looking at Winston and under my breath saying “come on, act like we have been here before.” Good thing my mind keeps me entertained.
            Fishing today was much better than the last few days with several fish in the 14 to 18inch range and a whole bunch of dinks. We saw a few BWO’s today, but midges seemed to be the soup of the day. FOD’s, Blings, and Tube Wing midges were all productive today. Winter Storage began two days ago and as of right now the river is running at just under 90cfs. The next few nights are supposed to be really cold and hopefully the reservoir completes the turnover. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, Jerry Rice and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading………



No comments:

Post a Comment