Saturday, November 5, 2016

Down On the Bayou........




            Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. For the most part, Cat’s and my marriage has been pretty basic over the years. Now don’t take this the wrong way, I wouldn’t change it for the world, but my job has kept many new adventures from coming to fruition. After selling the business last spring, we were really looking forward to adding some spice to our fishing lives. The new knee slowed some of those plans and then a few weeks ago, Cody called the house and told me that he had an open spot for a trip to Southern Louisiana to chase the usually aggressive Redfish. Like most “guys” outing proposals over the years, when asked my original thought was “sorry I can’t because of work,” and then it hit me.... I could go!
         I was a little apprehensive of doing anything without Cat, but she kept insisting that it would be awesome, and honestly how could it be anything else, I was going with Cody after all. Now before we jump into the trip, I wanted to talk a little about how perfectly timed this trip ended up. With my Huskers somehow having an unbeaten season, I dared to believe. Heck, if the Cubs can do it, miracles are possible. Anyway, during the fourth quarter of last week’s game, I actually started to believe and like usual, my heart was ripped from my chest in overtime. I think I hid it pretty well but idle time last week certainly landed my thoughts back at the game. The amazing thing about fishing trips, a quote from Metallica, “Nothing Else Matters.” They have to be anglers.
            We flew out early Wednesday and right off the bat, I was worried that a missed connection in Houston might be a nasty omen, but we only ended up missing about an hour. We rolled into New Orleans just after lunch and found an incredible little hole in the wall Cajun restaurant north of downtown. Our ride south out of Nola was a little surreal with the remnants of Catrina still everywhere.
          Our lodge was an old river boat that sat in a canal. This was not Cody’s first rodeo for redfish, but for me every experience was a new one. It’s amazing how your senses go crazy when you get away from your norm. The humidity, the salt, and just the smell of the Bayou had me on my toes for two days. The first day was a little stressful because the fish were just not normal. The south has also had a very warm fall and the warm water temps have kept the reds from moving up into the shallows. The first day we saw one fish that had moved up and Cody was on deck and made the perfect presentation. The fish exploded on the fly and on his third attempt he finally ate the fly. The clouds and wind kept us from seeing anymore and we made our way back to the lodge.
           The second day was a different story; I think I had four different shots but couldn’t get a take. Cody had one take but the power of the fish broke the line. We were able to see fish that day, but for the most part they weren’t as aggressive as usual. We could tell the guide was frustrated and he then went looking for a school of Black drums. I had never seen anything quite like it, the fish were big, strong and a well-presented fly was eaten. We landed several in the 25lb range and the trip was made. We made our way back to New Orleans last night and since it was my first trip, we had to make our way to the French Quarter. I’m glad we made it to Bourbon Street, but if I make another trip I will do my best to avoid Nola.
            We made it home this morning with no problems and I realized that my Huskers play OSU this evening. Hmmm, maybe a trip to Belize this week. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, (Cody, Mark, and Ronny T), and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..











No comments:

Post a Comment