Sunday, November 13, 2016

The Giving Season......

             Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures blog. When Cat and I first began writing this blog several years ago, we really had no idea what it would grow into. Some of our earliest blogs would get 15 or 20 readers throughout the week. Cat had always wanted to be a writer but as for me I couldn’t understand why anyone would ever want to sit down and write. Then one day it hit me, I could share jokes, stories, I could tease others and I could even talk about great new cool gear and throw in a tip or two, and maybe the greatest thing about the blog is that no one can ever cut me off, the stage is mine(hehe). We have probably written to much personal info but it seems that we have really developed a personal relationship with our readers. Now every once in a while, something from the blog will come back at us and all we can do is blush.
               Yesterday I walked into the shop and a reader and friend was in and said that he had something for me. I immediately felt a little sheepish and then he went on to remind me about my run-in with the killer beaver this summer( http://ogradyflyfishing.blogspot.com/2016/07/taking-advantage.html ) and then said it may be a little late because I’m walking so well now. He pulled it from around his back and it was a walking stick that he had carved from scratch. The staff has a beaver holding a fish carved out of the top, it has flies carved into the wood and then has Winston and Cat eyes burned into the wood. The final touches were the flies burned in throughout the staff. Now I have to admit, I had no idea how to take this and it absolutely blew me away. This project was incredible and had to have taken months to complete, while looking it over I was stunned, I don’t think I had ever received a gift that had taken that much time to complete. I asked Joe why he did this and he said that he felt like we helped him learn how to fish. I got it home last night and I kept finding myself walking into the other room and checking it out. Now I have never been very good and taking compliments or even more so gifts so in my best Connellesque way, I will put my humor into this. It seems that our blog has touched people enough over the years that readers and friends want to give us gifts. I wanted to start by saying that Joe has set the bar awfully high and it may be very difficult to equal, but just in case you want to try, tickets to Belize might be pretty cool(hehe). Okay that was my joke, but thank you so much Joe, the staff is incredible.

               Now on to the fishing, as with most of the fall, fishing has been real hit and miss, my trip out on Wednesday was fantastic with several big fish hookups and four sixteen inchers to the net. Thursday I fished by myself and hooked one good fish and several dinks. Today’s trip was a little slow with a breakoff, a few losses and a couple of quality fish to the net. Today we got to meet up with Steve and Cajun and Winston got to hang out with a new friend on the river. I think the problem we are dealing with is that with the warmth of the water, there is just too much food in the water to really get the fish gorging at any one time. If you are thinking about a learning guide trip then the next two weeks should be the perfect time to get it done. The river crowds will really pick up right around Thanksgiving so right now is a great time to cover a lot of the river. Fish were taken on FOD’s, Black emergers and Cream Blings. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Joe and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…

                         From Today














No comments:

Post a Comment