Thursday, November 16, 2017

Ode To JD !!!!

            Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. When your favorite college football team is sitting at 4 up and 6 down and the team just got routed by Golden Gophers then you probably don’t have a lot to be positive about. As a Husker fan, I can’t say enough about one of the smallest and toughest guys on the team, J.D. Spielman. I remember when J.D. first committed to the Huskers and all I heard was how underrated he was and that he should be a 4 star recruit. During his first practice season he was the talk of camp and his name kept coming up as the freshman to keep an eye on. Well an injury squashed his first year and he ended up red shirting and before this season his name was in the spotlight again. It didn’t take long for fans to see that he was special, his first touch against the “mighty” Arkansas State, went 99 nine yards for a touchdown. The games that I got a chance to watch he was clearly the best player wearing red. He blocks, he makes both the tough and the easy catch and is definitely the bright spot of the Huskers. Now there are some other fun to watch players, not saying any names but number 15 and 8, they seem to make a great play but then follow it up with a dropped TD catch. I have heard that one of his nick names is mighty mouse and I can see how that fits so well.
            I got a chance to fish today and on the way to the river I began thinking about this blog, I was planning to talk about the WKRP Thanksgiving episode but after fishing my first run, JD was on my mind. I covered a lot of water today but on my first drift and in the spirit of JD, my indicator shot up river. He was quick and powerful and spit the hook almost immediately. I fished that run for twenty minutes and hooked probably a dozen fish, none were big but they sure were fun to play. I moved up and it seemed that every riffle had a take or two. As a professional fly fishing guide, I like to think that I should be able to land all of the smaller fish but I had my tail handed to me more than my share today the JD sized fish were the best players in the river today. I made my way into a really technical run and landed an 18-inch bow, and shortly after a 20inch Brownie. I hooked another big fish but was handed a beat down. I headed back down and continued to catch the smaller fish all afternoon, I got into one run and after playing with several JD sized fish, I hooked one that felt very different. He tried taking me back into the rocks but even as flashy and awesome as he should be(maybe like numbers 15 or 8) I worked him to the net and it was another beautiful 20 inch Brown. I continued to hook the smaller fish all the way back to the car and it sure was an awesome day, JD all day long.
            The flows dropped yesterday but that was my day to mind the shop so today was the day to check it out. The smaller fish were eating all day but the toads way more techie. A lot of the smaller fish were caught on an egg and the bigger fish were taken on a purple Juju Baetis and a Fod. If you don’t mind the wind, I have an opening for tomorrow but you will need to call me on my cell phone. 719-568-4927 . Next week will be very crowded on the tailwater so my hope is that we can keep a courteous river. Please fish a run and move on. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, JD Spielman and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading and always remember to “Throw The Bones” !!!!

***There are several pics of the big browns and bow and also a few of the JD fish.

First Brown


Second Brown



The Bow and a few of the JD's



No comments:

Post a Comment