Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The Good and the Bad......

         Hello friends and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I can’t tell you how many times over the last few weeks I have answered the shop phone and I have heard the exact same questions. The first is, how is the tailwater fishing and the second is how is the clarity. Well hopefully by the blog title you can see that our river has really been a mixed bag as of late.
          First, I wanted to talk a little about the good. If you are a long-time reader than you know that January is far from my favorite time of the year to fish. I used to complain that the bait guys killed our fish and the river will never be the same. And almost every year at around the 10th or 11th of February our bows would begin to poke their heads out and they would be everywhere and then I would get frustrated because with that many fish, how the heck am I not catching fish on every cast. Well this is the good, a few weeks ago I was walking the river and I began to see shadows. At first I just figured that it was my eyes playing tricks on me(it is January), but after drifting past a few the hallucinations I realized that they put up a pretty good fight. Now over the last week or so, I have really seen a bunch of fish coming out of hiding.
          Now the bad, as with every year, just because I can see the fish, doesn’t mean they are easily catchable. The other day I had a guide trip out and I set a client up in a spot and then got above him to watch. The first 10 feet of the drift was perfect and just as we were nearing the fish I saw a small belly in the line and the indicator drug just a tad and the fish just moved out. Yep, they are super spooky.
          Now some good, as the afternoon sets in we have been seeing some great midge hatches and the surface feeding has been fantastic. Not the piggies of the A.M. but the little guys and even though they are small, don’t think of them as dumb.
          Now some bad, this upcoming weekend I’m guessing will be our busiest weekend of the year. I guess the football watchers have nothing better to do and will be at the river. Two years ago on the Saturday before the SB one of our guides counted 36 anglers between Valco bridge and Tree Bend. Last year I remember trying to find a spot on Sunday with two clients and it was nearly impossible.

          So, as you can see there is some good and some bad going on, on our river now. One fisherman will come in at the end of the day and say fishing is awful and the next will say that he just caught the fish of his life. If you are one of the fishermen that are really frustrated than maybe now would be a great time to invest in a guide trip. Figure out how to see fish and the maybe see what it takes to catch them. Weekends are pretty busy but weekdays can be good. Fish today were carefully stalked and caught on a size 22 J-bomb and the smaller fish were tricked on size 24 Tube Wings and Ninjas. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Alexander Graham Bell, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…..




No comments:

Post a Comment