Monday, January 21, 2013

Not What They Appear......


  I remember Cat and I had been married about a year and one night I was suffering from a serious cold. I could not stop coughing and I knew Cat needed to get up the next morning so I went ahead and decided to sleep on the couch. Up until that night, from the very first night of marriage, Cat and I had never spent a night apart and are marriage was nothing short of total bliss. My boys got up the next morning and were quieter than usual, I was wondering if maybe they were getting sick as well. Cat took the boys to school and they were silent almost the whole drive. Finally Cat turned to them and said “whats up with the quietness”. They looked at each other and then back to Cat and shakily asked “is everything okay with you and dad”? “Yeah, why she asked”? And with fear and sadness they asked “why was dad sleeping on the couch”? Cat burst into laughter and said it was because I was coughing too much and didn’t want to keep her awake. It is one of those things that gets you thinking that things are not always what they appear.

  As most of our readers know, Cat and I got to fish yesterday and had a great time. When we got home Cat said she wanted to write yesterday’s blog because it was such a fun and interesting day. As she was writing she would burst into her Cat giggles every so often so I knew she was writing something funny. When finished I started reading it and knowing how Cat’s mind works, I also thought it was hilarious. After posting it we sat down to watch a movie (Zombieland), and later looked back at the comments. We were shocked to see the comments about people trying to lift Cat’s spirits and we reread what she had written. After rereading the blog we could see how it was the sleeping on the couch thing all over again. Cats attempt at making fun of herself, sounded like Cat’s whining, but we can assure you that that was not the case at all, what she was trying to do was open up a little glass window into the workings of Cat’s brain, and also to show that if you constantly look for the positive, someday you might be as awesome as Cat(but I doubt it).

  If you have never seen Zombieland, one of the survival rules is to stop and appreciate the little things, in the movie it was Twinkies(movie was made before Hostess went out of business), and that was what I was trying to do yesterday. With trying to rest my wrist and then getting the cold from down under and the poor fishing reports, I wasn’t expecting to do very well but was excited to feel the things I had missed out on for the last three weeks. The first is the sound of my waders walking through the water, just stepping a foot or so into the water yesterday sent chills up my spine. The other thing I really missed was the sound of everything going on around you. Winston was enjoying the sounds as much as me. We had a bush about fifteen feet behind us and either some type of rodent or a bird kept jumping around every few minutes and every time we would both turn at the same time and not see anything. My guess is that whatever it was, it is probably still laughing and telling his buddies the story of how he had trained Winston and me to keep turning our heads. Well anyway I just wanted to chime in and try and assure you all that Cat is not a whiner at all and her blog yesterday was just an attempt of her making fun of herself. The O’Grady family motto has always been and always be that, If you can’t learn to laugh at yourself that you will miss out on the greatest joke of your generation.

 Fishing this time of year can have some moments of ease and some moment of wanting to pull your hair out(and yes that might be why I am partly bald), but what we would encourage all out readers to do is enjoy every second on the water. Listen to whats going on around you, watch what the fish are doing, take some time to examine the size and color of the bugs you are seeing and watch the trees for birds. Yesterday was incredible, Cat and I got 15 or 20 to the net with a couple measuring out at 18 inches, but it may be slowere tomorrow.Thank you always for reading and hope to see you on the water, I will be trying to make up for lost time. Connell, Cat and The Drift Fly Shop…..

No comments:

Post a Comment