Sunday, April 2, 2017

Yep, It's That Time Of the Year...

              Hello friends and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. I’m guessing that my neighbors think that I am 100% bat-sh** crazy after listening to me sing this morning. I stepped out on my back porch just as the sun was breaking through the clouds and I saw the trees blossoming and turning green, two turtle doves were snuggling up to each other and you could almost see the grass coming up. Now I know that as a human being I should wait until December to sing “it’s the most wonderful time of the year”, but as a fly fisherman, I had a pretty good idea what was about to transpire for the day, and those magical lyrics echoed through my mind all afternoon.
                I had a repeat client today and we got to the river at around 11:00. We worked on a few techniques and then the river just came alive. Feeding lanes had fish going crazy and it seemed like every good cast and drift got a take. Now I would love to say that every take was a success but then I would be another one of those truth bending guides. We started measuring every fish and at one time, Glen looked at me and said that he now realizes that his San Juan guide is either a great embellisher or the measuring sticks in NM are a little different. Fish gorged on FOD’s and grey emergers for a few hours and then they moved back into the rock structures. Glen did enter the 20 inch club with one male that just tipped the 20mark.
                Water temps coming out of the dam are just a little over 45degrees and on most days the water will warm a little and get the BWO’s going. It appears that the spawn is reaching its end; we only saw two fish paired up, I guess they wanted one last ride and I don’t blame them. So to sum up what is going in the world of fly fishing, we have to go back to the Christmas song “it’s the most wonderful time of the year”. Spinney opened yesterday and I have already seen some incredible pics from up there. The Ark ought to be fantastic from now until run-off, usually around Memorial Day and then I guessing we will be seeing another prolonged run-off. There is a lot of snow up in them there hills and when the heat rolls in, so will the water. The Drift has run a Spinney special the last few years and it will run from now until July 1st. If you have seen our videos then you have seen how awesome lake fishing can be. We know that it can be intimidating so with the purchase of any Sage Accel rod or Outcast/Fishcat PONTOON boat, you will get a free sit down with Cat or I and we will go over safety, accessories, rigging, and how to hunt a lake and hopefully get you started with confidence.

                Now if you have been considering taking a guide trip with me, now is the time to call. This week only has one spot left on Friday but next week is fairly open, come see what this river has to offer. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Bing Crosby and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading……










No comments:

Post a Comment