Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Hunt For Red October


  It all began one sunny afternoon in October of 2010. I was taking my usual afternoon stroll to the City Park walk bridge to watch the fish and that is when I first saw him. Trying to learn as much as I could about trout habits, I have spent a ton of time over the years studying them from the walkover bridge. This day started out like every other; the 21inch silvery female, the two 18inchers that always seem to be at her side were there. The far upper riffle was filled with its usual 6 to 10 fish ranging from 15 to 20 inches. The slow deep run had its usual nice fish intertwined with the nasty pod of suckers. There was an acquaintance fishing the feeding lane riffle below bridge and as I was saying hello, I caught a glimpse of a shadow moving up the deep run and under the bridge. I walked over to the other side and as he emerged from under the bridge I almost soiled myself. He moved up next to miss silver and dwarfed her by about 10 inches. I could not believe what I was seeing. This fish was massive, the guide in me told my friend to cast up under the bridge and into the run below the rock. First cast with his dry dropper rig ended up in the perfect place, the dry moved about 6 inches, stopped and dipped. I yelled set, and as he set the hook, I saw the fish shoot to the left; head shake and snap the line. As he disappeared into the depths, I was reminded of some of the greatest movies of the 70’s and 80’s; the Jaw’s shark tail, and the Hunt for Red October submarines propellers slowly and methodically fading away into the abyss. And thus began my own personal Hunt for Red October.

  Cat and I headed over there the next day but found only the usual suspects. We caught several fish over eighteen inches but left with a yearning for the monster I had seen the day before. Over the next several weeks, I spent countless hours trying to hunt this fish. It was amazing, every time I showed up with my gear, he was nowhere to be found, and if I showed up just to watch, he would slide up into the feeding lane, take a few bites and flip me the fin as he would swim away. In mid January of last year I had two clients in the area when the monster drifted into the feeding lane. I pointed out the fish to my clients and they both got buggy eyed and started to shake a little. I moved in below with one of them and got into the perfect place to drop the emerger in front of him. My mouth went dry with excitement and I had him cast.  First cast was a kind of a round house and he caught the tree to the back and side of us, I nearly cried. We slowly backed out, but before I could get the other client into place, the fish had disappeared. That was the last time I saw him in that spot.

  A couple months later I was fishing about three quarters of a mile down river when I saw what I thought was my old friend and nemesis. He had snuck in to a hole that had some great protection, four boulders, a log and part of an old concrete drainage pipe. I had my gear and started fishing to him. This fish is so smart; he actually has two smaller 21 and 22 inch fish hang out in front of him. First cast I caught the 21 and scattered the others. I spent the next three weeks almost every day trying to catch him. I knew we were getting late in the season and the runoff would be starting very soon. At night, he was the last thing that would go through my head before drifting off. That tail slowly and methodically disappearing away from me, it was becoming maddening. Finally the perfect day, I showed up just as the Blue Wings were coming off and I knew he was vulnerable. He was alone, so no other fish to worry about. I laid the FOD out in front of him and I saw the flash. His power was amazing. I knew I only was fishing with 5x and had to give him some line. I figured he would head for the upper rocks, but actually he turned and ran me over the old concrete pipe. I felt the leader running down the edge and there was nothing I could do. Snap, it was over. That was the last encounter I had with that fish. A couple days later, the water came up and tail water was done till fall.

  The ending of this Blog will take some participation on the part of the readers. I want to partially change movie themes and get you, the readers, to clear your throat, stand up tall, shoulders back and in your very best Morgan Freeman voice finish this blog.

    I have been freed from this fish for some time now and so often I don’t know what to do, I find myself aimlessly wondering the banks of the Arkansas searching for the companionship and pride that only this fish could give to me, I try to pee, but not one drop without thinking about him. How I long to hold him just once and snap a picture. I have not seen him in some while and I think of what he was telling me as he was swimming away, remember your black fly box the one that has no business in your jacket. I think about him all the time,  I miss my old friend, I miss Red October……..

 



  Thank you for reading these blogs, they have been a riot to write and bringing back some of my old memories gets me excited to keep going back. I had been writing this one for a while but wanted to get it published now because I have an update on Red October.



Heee’sss Back!!!!!!!!!!

  You may not be hearing from me for a few days because I saw either Red October or his brother yesterday while filming. If you are thinking about hiring a guide to catch a true trophy Rainbow, do it quickly because we never know how much time we have. The river will rise soon, and all you will have is the thought of that tail swimming away.

Connell and Cat O’Grady

The Drift Fly Shop 719-543-3900

No comments:

Post a Comment