Sunday, March 11, 2012


Sunday March 11th Fishing Report

   And Trivia question for the day.

 The Trivia question for the day is ; How do you know exactly where your friends have been fishing when they have only given you general information? Answer will be at the end of this blog.

  Cat and I went into the Reservoir drive area this morning. We were excited when we got up and saw it was sprinkling and overcast. Unfortunately, shortly after we got to the river the sun came out.  Fishing was good most of the day but I would not say great.You can tell when some of the best pctures are of Winston. I Landed somewhere between 12 and 15 with the largest one being a 20 inch male. Perfect timing because Alex and his kids were skating by at the time and were able to take picturess. Cat landed several with the largest being 15 inches.  Did not see a lot of midges but between 2:00 and 3:00, we did get to see our first blue wing hatch of the year. I think the fish were as surprised as I was when the may flies started hatching, so they did not start keying on them. Saw a lot of “large spawners” through the corridor. Beautiful fish but please leave them alone and let them get their groove on.



   Seeing the blue wings coming off tells me that fishing should just explode over the next few weeks or so. If you are not getting the results you are looking for or just wanting to get better at tailwater fishing, this would be a great time to book a trip. The learning curve at this time of the year is steep and you can become an expert in no time. Thanks, Connell

  The Drift Fly Shop 719-543-3900





  Now, before we get to the trivia answer, I have to explain a few things. I have been tying and fishing my own unique patterns over the last several years.  Most of them are not that secretive but very affective. We also carry some of my patterns in the shop. I have showed friends over the years how to tie several of them. Danny has become exceptional at tying several of them and has gone on and taught his brother in law Josh how to tie them. Josh has been posting pictures of his improved FOD and I have to admit, tying them with biots, he makes them look awfully good.

  Answer to the trivia… Check the trees…



   I was fishing across from a tree today and snagged a branch on the other side. I knew the water was not real deep so I headed over and found a smorgasbord of what I thought were my flies. Four different setups with three flies each, yep do the math twelve flies!  I thought about it and realized they were not mine because I had not fished that spot in several weeks. They had to be from Dan and Josh so I wondered was this there way of decorating a Christmas tree? It wasn’t even a fir. Were they thinking Dr Seuss was for real when he wrote Three Fish In a Tree?  Don’t know exactly but I appreciate the donation and it was great to think that your friends were fishing this exact spot just yesterday. The picture is of what I pulled out of the tree, minus an RS2 I fished as a finders fee.Hehe


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I think I know exactly which flies are mine from that photo, Lol! I was probably too embarrassed to walk over and collect my flies from that fly eating tree. Those trees are everywhere, be careful. You need to ask Josh about the tree hang up he had. He was actually lucky enough to free his line from the tree with a few shakes of the rod only to have his line released into another tree! Good times.

    ReplyDelete