Thursday, April 18, 2013

Making People Laugh!


  The year was 1978, it was a simpler time when there were no cell phones, mp3’s, cable tv, personal computers (no you tube) and there was no such thing as pirated entertainment. Yep, tv entertainment consisted of abc,nbc,cbs and pbs and if you missed anything it was gone forever and at that time, the funniest man on the face of the earth was a young man named Steve Martin.

  When Christmas eve rolled around I open my first present and saw it was the Wild and Crazy Guy live album from Steve Martin and I was thrilled, see even as a wee lad, I loved comedy. When the gift opening was complete, most of the family headed to my brothers room where he owned the only stereo and turntable in the house. In preparation for hearing King Tut, my younger brother and I grabbed towels and string and made our own Egyptian royalty headwear. We played King Tut over and over while doing the King Tut dance and when we finally had enough we went on to the rest of the album. I remember the Cat Juggling skit and then his next skit he came out and began talking about his new girl friend. He said she had the best p**sy that he had ever seen. My mouth dropped and a million thoughts raced through my head; first was, did he really just say that, and then oh crap, my dad is going to smash this album, and then back to an inward giggle as I knew he just said a bad word. Once again, it was a simpler time and I had only heard this word at school. Well the crowd gasped with a huge huhhhhh and then a pause followed by Steve saying, “oh you people are sick!! You filthy minded people; I was talking about her cat, I can’t believe what you people were thinking”. Well the album did not get broken and I listened to it over and over for years.

  So why am I talking about Steve Martin in a flyfishing blog? Well earlier in the week I posted a blog about a new fly I had been working on and I was shocked to hear the reaction to the name I gave my new fly. I could not believe what filthy minded, sick people actually read my blog. To this day, I still daydream about the firework that I named the fly after. I remember the first time I experienced that firework, I was alone and a little nervous that I would get caught; I lit the fuse and watched with amazement when the rocket shot up in the air and then exploded. After the rocket explode I had to find the remains in order to hide any evidence of what I had just done. I thought this was the most awesome thing I had ever experienced and started daydreaming when I could light another one. I could see how wars could be fought over those fireworks, and to this day I still get excited when I see firework advertisements all because of that first rocket.

  Well on to fishing for the clean minded, Cat and I spent her birthday yesterday on the river. The day was not exactly what we expected, when we woke up and saw the clouds we started lathering up in anticipation of the best day ever.  We were on the water from about 10:30 til about 4:00 with really strange results. With the cloud cover we were not able to spend the majority of the day sight fishing so we had to rely on our experience as to where the fish would be. We caught fish but not exactly what we expected. The bwo’s began to pop around 2:00 and the fish only seemed mildly interested. Cat landed the 2 biggest fish of the day, a 20 and 21 incher and I caught a lot of fish and a couple browns but nothing bigger than 18. The flies of the day were the True Blood in a size 16, the new fly, and Cat caught the 20 incher on a size 16 FOD.

  Now back to the Steve Martin skit, after another long pause he said “that cat was the best **ck I ever had”. Now for our readers I try to keep this blog G rated but do know that on occasion I get a little off track. Some of our readers might get offended but I want to remind our readers that other than the fishing reports, nothing I write should ever be taken seriously. My entire life has been spent trying to make myself and others laugh. As you can tell by my writing, satire is what really trips my trigger. So enjoy, and if you are offended maybe in the future I can highlight just the fishing stuff…but I think that would be really boring. As always, thanks for reading, Connell, Cat, Winston and The Drift Fly Shop….





2 comments: