Sunday, April 7, 2013

Out Of Cat's Head....


One of Cats favorite songs of all time is a song by ELO called “I Can’t Get It Out of My Head." The chorus goes like this:

And I can't get it out of my head,
No, I can't get it out of my head.
Now my old world is gone for dead
Cus I can't get it out of my head.

                  If you are a follower of this blog than you know about how difficult I have been on Cat while she was transitioning back to fishing her Z-axis. Every bounced fish I would look at her, shake my head and tease “Remember when you were fishing my Winston and you could land those fish." After several trips out I began to notice that my teasing was sinking in as Cat actually starting to wonder if maybe it was the rod.  To make it worse each time she would have a fish come off I would sing "she can’t get it out of her head" reminding her that it was her rods fault. Now I don’t believe in curses but I do think sometime when a person starts to believe something they can curse themselves.
              Webster defines curse as evil or misfortune coming as if in response to a curse. I remember growing up and every September hearing about the curse of the Bambino and the Cubs curse. I don’t remember the year but I remember Moises Alou going into the corner for the second out in the eighth when they were up 3-0 and 3-2 in the series against the Marlins. A fan reaches over the edge and snags the easy second out of the inning and the Cubs fell apart. The Marlins went on to score eight runs in the inning and then go on and win game seven. Watching the looks on the player’s faces it was as if they knew the curse was going to take them out of the series. I also remember the moment that the Red Sox ended their “curse”, they were down three games to zip to the Yankee’s and down in game four when they went on a roll and won the next four and then I think they swept the series, one hundred years of curse talk out the window.

           Today marked the end of any Winston curse talk for Cat. I think the word epic might be the second most overused word in the English language but Ironically, I don’t think I could describe it any other way. Oh yeah, I think Ironic is the first most overused word. Cat and I got to the water today about 10:30 and from the very first cast the fish were cooperating. Fish were sitting in feeding lanes most of the day and all we had to do was get the bugs in front of them. It seemed every third cast was money it seemed as if the majority ended up in the net. Cat landed the biggest fish today that measured out at 21 inches. Every time I looked over she looked like Manny Ramirez grinning and saying “curse this." Size 22 Ninja and size 24 cream Bling midge were the ticket today. Cat ran her seine through the water today and found quite a few BWO shucks and lots of cream colored midges. We saw a few bwo’s but the wind was blowing pretty hard so we didn’t see a many flying around. We don’t normally keep count but I would guess we may have steered 40 or more to the net, really glad I went fishing today. With the epic day now in the rear view mirror, I hope Cat will be able to start listening to the ELO song again and enjoy it without the image of me holding a Winston out and smiling at her. The Cubs still battle with their “curse” but the “curse of the Winston is over….

      April is here and fishing is turning on all over. Yesterday I went with Cat to a big wig meeting in Silverthorne and fished while she was in her meeting. I have fished the Blue on several occasions but have never seen so many feeding fish. I only landed five but hooked and lost one that was definitely over 20. One of our friends was up river on the Ark yesterday and said it would be more difficult not catching fish. I started looking through some of his pics but my ADHD made me quit looking at 15. Fishing here in P-town should remain very good throughout April as long as the Water cooperates. As always, thanks for reading and I hope your days on the water are blessings and never curses. Connell, Cat, Winston and The Drift Fly Shop….






 
                                         Prize on the Blue.....
 

1 comment:

  1. ELO - Badass
    Looks like a great weekend guys!

    ReplyDelete