Sunday, April 14, 2013

Something New....


  Wow, what a day on the river! Over the last month or so I have been noticing way to frequently the fish feeding on some type of bug and not really having any clue as to what it was. Luckily for me I have a biologist wife and a friend and boss that love collecting bugs. Last week while Cat and I were fishing Cat seined the water and showed me the culprit of my frustration and so that night I started working on a new fly. I came up with a pretty good matching pattern and then after seeing another sample Alex collected later in the week I was able to fine tune my masterpiece. I have developed several patterns over the years with the FOD and the Ninja’s being my pride and joys and have not really found the need to stray too much from those patterns. I finished the bug the other night and while trying to decide what to call it I started thinking about one of my favorite fireworks as a kid called the Jizz Bomb. In hopes that this bug can fill me with the same childhood delight as the Jizz Bomb I could not have thought of a better name. The next step was trying it out.

  Got to the water about 10:30 and was glad to see Peek-a-boo was empty. I noticed that the water had come up a little and was a little stained. First cast and nutten, second was money, not big but was happy to see about a fifteen incher with the jizz Bomb stuck in his mouth. I landed a few more in that hole and then started moving down. I saw a lot of fish in really shallow water and went ahead and casted to one. I knew I short casted him and was ready to pull the drift and then I watched him move about 3 feet and grab my stuff. Jazzed to say the least, and when I got him in and saw he had taken the new bug as well I just had to smile. The new fly picked up fish all day with the exception of the half hour BWO hatch when the fly of choice was a RS2. Fish did not seem to be sitting in normal feeding lies today, caught most of the fish today in 10inches or less water. This was definitely the best day I have seen on the water all year, even though the piggies kicked my tail today, I still probably hooked fifty or so with about half to the net.

  I often state that the only thing constant in flyfishing is change. We have watched some many different things happen over the last several years and I am so thankful to have been able to watch the changes. I am not sure if the Jizz Bomb will continue to be a great fly but I do know it was totally awesome toady. I will continue to test it over the next few weeks and if it continues to produce I will share it at May’s open tying. As always thanks for reading, Connell, Cat, Winston and the Drift Fly Shop…..
 
                                    Jizz Bomb 1-3




                                         RS2
 

3 comments:

  1. There are so many places we could take this discussion, most of which are the gutter...If you show me the Jizz bomb I'll show you the Unicorn

    Eddie

    ReplyDelete