Sunday, April 12, 2015

Space Camp.....

Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. Boy things sure have been Spicy and fun around the shop the last few weeks. Our home river has morphed back into the killer river that we have all fallen in love with and Cody has brought life back into the shop with his new found adoration of the salt. Cody has just made it back from his second extended trip to the salt.We were laughing the other day about how Cody has kind of reminded us of Howard from the Big Bang Theory. Well first of all they dress and are built alike, jkjk, but in the show Howard goes to space and when he gets back he can’t stop talking about space. Whether at the Cheesecake Factory, at school or even at home with Bernadette every comment is compared to what he had done in space. Now unlike on the show, I’m not sure I will ever get tired of his enthusiasm for the salt. We did have one kind of funny thing happen in the shop that first made me realize how closely Cody sounds like Howard. I was sitting in the back finishing my lunch and Cody was working a project next to me. A couple of guys moved to the back of the shop and I could see that one was trying to impress the other by asking about a particular brand of sunglasses. Now I have heard of the brand and I think it was one of the inexpensive brands that BassPro sells. What happened next still has me giggling today; Cody jumped up and began to show these two guys the Smiths that we have in stock. He then went on to tell the guys about how when he fishes here in P-town he uses one colored lens but in the salt he uses the other. He then went on talking about the importance of that particular shade while walking the flats. Now I’m not sure Cody ever realized but I think he kind of crushed the poor guy that was trying to impress his friend by dropping brand names. Well like I said earlier, I don’t think I will ever tire of the enthusiasm Cody has brought back from Hawaii and Christmas Island.
            I think this is the perfect time to brag on my friend Cody and also talk a little about some of the new things we are trying to bring to The Drift. As our readers know, The Drift works very hard at trying to be the most ethical flyshop on the face of the earth. When Cody made his first trip to the Salt he did quite a bit of research before making all his purchases for the different places he was going. He was a little annoyed by how many purchases he was encouraged to buy that were totally useless and was frustrated by some of the things that now seem simple but was not told about before. Now with his new love for the salt and wanting everyone to enjoy it as much as he does, he is now setting up a few new programs to help people fall in love like he did. First is still in the works but he is beginning to work a way to host Flyfishing trips to Hawaii and Christmas Island. Hawaii has some of the largest and most powerful bonefish in the world and Cody is now hooked up with the people that can make it happen. How great would it be for you to be able to take your spouse on the most romantic and prettiest vacation ever and to be able to sneak off and spend a few days chasing bonefish. Secondly, Cody will now take appointments for a sit down with anyone planning on making a trip to the salt? Getting the correct rods, lines, flies and even shoes can make or break the vacation of a lifetime. Cody has taken his expertise of chasing and sight fishing trout, guiding and fishing in Alaska and has become super proficient and extremely knowledgeable of fishing the Salt. There will be no charge for the sit down but we do hope some of your purchases are made with the Drift. Now if you can’t make the trip right now, next time you see Cody ask him about the salt, or space and sit back and enjoy.
            Now on to our river, if you have been following the flows this week then I’m sure you have realized how much they have moved, this week should have been brought to you by Duncan. If you don’t get it then you’re younger than me. I think today I found that I have my own personal lucky charm.  As I was finishing getting wadered up a friend Mike Bonney showed up and I talked to him for a bit. I immediately walked down to the river and hooked half a dozen fish or so right away. Then the river just kind of died off for me. I was walking back up river and shared a few words with Mike again and low and behold, I hooked five fish very quickly. The river went quiet for me again and as I was heading out I ran into Mike again, I told him that I thought he was my lucky charm and figured I better fish a little more. Thank you Mike, I hooked and landed my best fish of the day. Fish today were eating but very picky, any mistake and the fish let you know. Fish were on the caddis larva from the shop and the FOD. I’m thinking now that when I eventually take my trip to Hawaii we might have to take Mike with us. Anyway, I sure hope you get the chance to talk to Cody and watch his eyes light up. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Mr. Bonney, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….

  Cody'd Trigger fish from Christmas Island.







No comments:

Post a Comment