Friday, April 10, 2015

Staring Down Perfection... Easter Video...


          Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. As I am sitting down to write this blog I could not help but notice that currently the Rockies are perched high at the top of the NL West Standings at an incredible 3-0. I am shocked and pleasantly amazed, but now what do I do. Do I head to the store and buy 2015 Rockies paraphernalia, or should I just be glad that they won’t lose any more than a total of 159 games? Do I make plans now for the World Series, or do I wait for Tulo and Cargo to make their annual trip to the DL. As our readers know I have never really made any bones about the fact that I had become such a fair weather fan over the last few years. And it’s not just me; Winston has been documented with the same ailment.
I remember a few years ago when Cat and I spent two weeks just outside New York City. Sports radio is king of the airways; the season was a month in and the talk of Rivera, Jeter, Rodriguez(pre PED bust) filled the airways and I remember feeling a little jealous. I couldn’t stand the Yankees, they only win because they spend more money and they cheat. Whereas Rocky fans we get to talk of the Glory days of Gallaraga and Bichette, Yankee fans get to talk about Ruth, Berra, Mantle, Dimaggio, Gehrig, and even Mister October himself, Reggie Jackson. Have any baseball movies or songs been written about our players? 27 World Series wins and 40 total trips compared to the Rockies 0 for 1. If you follow sports at all and even mere mention of the Pinstripes makes you ill, there is no denying that the Yankees have been the absolute cream of the crop of not only pro baseball but all sports franchises.
            As our long time readers are aware, a few years back the rod I had been fishing went out of production. Now being a guide and part of a flyshop “ forces me” to always fish current gear, (hehe) but as strange as it all sounds we kind of get connected to our gear. I began looking a few years back for a new rod to fish but really had a hard time settling in on anything. I can’t tell you how many rods I fished but every rod seemed to have its good parts and some not so good parts. Too heavy, too soft, too fast, not enough backbone, I felt a little like Goldilocks saying  please let me find a rod that’s just right. As luck would have it, our Sage rep came into the store at just the right time. He had loaned me a One, in a weight I had not fished before and also sold me an Accel to try as a new rod. I fished them both over the next week and eventually had to send the One back. I really like the Accel, but like that girl that dumped you in high school, I could not get the One out of my brain. A week later, after a few sleepless yearning nights, I went ahead and bought my very own One and have not looked back.
            So how does all this fit together you ask? I received an e-mail last month from Sage manufacturing that asked me to become part of the Sage Elite Pro staff. The requirements were that I fish all Sage products and do my best to promote the Sage brand. My biggest fear was my lack of knowledge about Sage reels, I always thought they were cool but had never purchased them since we don’t carry them in the shop. I have told the story before about a flyshop that years ago had deceived me, and that Cat and I have always promised that no matter what, our integrity would come before our shop or any of our shop products. I went ahead and ordered a few of the Sage 4200 reels and can truly say that I like them as much if not more than any reel I have ever fished. I tried to show a little of the reel in the video. The shop currently does not carry the reel but we can get them in for anyone interested, also let me know if you want to see one up close and I can get it by the shop. So my last fear was what happens when the One eventually is replaced? Will I then maybe have to lie about a product? And here was my “AHA” moment; as the Yankees have been the ultimate of the sports franchise world, Sage has been the same in the world of flyfishing. It may be because they spend way too much on R&D, and some people may cringe when they see the Sage logo but there is no denying, Sage is the king of flyfishing and I am happy to be part of their future. This year I will certainly root for the Rockies but if for some reason the Yankees came calling….see ya….

 I wrote earlier in the week about our day on the river over Easter and how good of a day it was. Cat and I were hooked up so often that it was hard to even film each other. My GoPro battery went dead with a few hours left in the day and I couldn’t believe how many clips I had taken that day. I put together a short video of the day and hope you enjoy it. Fishing right now is incredible and I would encourage you to get on the water when you can. We have no idea when the water will come up so take every opportunity now, I guess its kind of like rooting for the Rockies, and unfortunately we know that runoff is on the way. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, Yogi Berra, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….. 






No comments:

Post a Comment