Sunday, August 23, 2015

The TA Slip.....

Hello all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. So I wanted to start this blog by telling you all a little story about a pretty funny Freudian slip from last spring. Now I don’t want to give out this person’s name, for protection purposes but his initials are TA.  Now if you can figure it out on your own, I assume no responsibility for the teasing you may or may not give TA. So last spring the shop and friends were doing a Tenkara seminar and after the in-store portion, everyone else headed to the river. The river was flowing right around 400 cfs and after a few quick practice casts, TA headed over to a run he had been fishing. Just a couple of casts and he hooked and fought a beautiful 19 inch brown to the net. The fear all along about the Tenkara was the inability to land big fish but TA put that theory to rest. The Tenkara rep was thrilled beyond belief by the fish and ran over and told TA that he wanted a pic with the fish and the Tenkara. Now TA was kneeling at the time and was trying to figure out how to get the pic done when he made his slip. As TA was looking up at the rep, he asked “ is it okay if I put your rod in my mouth”? Now I’m not sure how the rep kept a straight face but I do know that Cody and Cat both turned and had to walk in different directions. So the question is, was that a Freudian slip? Probably not, but as a fiend, It would be wrong to pass up an opportunity..hehe
          So today’s trip to the river was about exploring and trying to figure out how the incredibly long and high runoff has affected the river. Winston and I got to the river today at around 10:30. I started by hitting all the traditional feeding lanes with very little success. I didn’t see any bugs and so I started hitting a few of the side channels and slower seems. I started hooking fish and got a beautiful 17 incher to the net. It seemed that every side channel had one fish and then it was time to move on. Once I felt like I knew what type of water the fish were in, I began to think of TA’s run from last year and I made my way down river. On my second drift, I hooked my fish of the day. It was a great fight and as I got him to the surface I saw he was an absolute gorgeous 19 or 20 inch bow. He made another quick run but I was able to work him to the top once again. I think my mouth was watering a little as I was heading in for the netting and he gave a quick headshake and spit the flies. The bow sat at the surface for a second and then like he was winking at me, he gave a quick tail flip and disappeared into the depths. Yeah, it was a little sad to lose the fish but it sure made the day. So, I decided the run shall be forever deemed, the TA Slip.

          I can’t really say that fishing is great right now but it sure is awesome standing in the river. I hooked and fought a total of seven fish today but only got one to the net. From what I could tell it seemed that purple was the color of choice for fish today. I have heard that people throwing streamers have done well also. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, TA, and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….

No comments:

Post a Comment