Sunday, August 30, 2015

Maiden Voyage....

Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures. Some days I wake up and look at who’s next to me and then look at my dogs, kids and toys(not necessarily in order of importance) and realize that it is good to be me, today was one of those days. Last week I was writing a little about the benefits of med. fast action rods (I know most of you just read the TA story). I knew that Sage had come out with their newest med fast rod, the MOD, and after reading my blog from last week I went ahead and bought one. The rod was setup with a Sage Domain reel and Rio Gold line. Cat and I were invited to float the upper river on Sunday, with Travis and Cody and I knew that would be perfect to try out the new stick. When I pulled the rod and reel out of the case it kind of reminded me of the movies about the Holy Grail, the bright green glow began to flood the valley and people began to shield their eyes from the beauty. I could tell right away that everyone was jealous because Cody began to call me the Green Lantern and Cat called me the Sexy Praying Mantis, well actually I added the Sexy part. But after just a few test casts, I knew this was going to be a fun day.
We had barely begun the float when I hooked and landed my first fish of the day. He was only about 10 inches but since he was my first, I wanted to snap a pic next to the rod. Travis back eddied in and I jumped out of the boat and got in place for Cat to snap a pic. I got the fish back in and as we were loading back into the boat, I began to think about what that fish was thinking, and had to laugh. I’m sure that fish was looking at the boat, the gear, the fishing clothing and the rest of the thousands of dollars worth of equipment, chuckled and thought to himself that, “I wonder what these idiots would pay to catch a 15 inch fish.” Well anyways he was the first of many fish landed today. We fished giant hoppers with droppers most of the day and even when the wind blew, the rod was magnificent. I wasn’t sure if it was the line or the rod, but line mending was effortless. Travis jumped up and fished it for a while and next time you see him you may notice a little more of a grin on his face. I realized that if Travis ever gets out of the fishing business he should go into the body jewelry business, he offered up and gave many free lip piercings in a very short period of time. Well, unfortunately the day came to an end and now I’m sitting at my keyboard reviewing my day.
           Lastly I wanted to end by reiterating the fact that some days it’s really good to be me. Great friends, Great family and now a new Great Med fast rod, I will sleep well tonight with a smile on my face. As always, Connell, Cat, Winston, Travis & Cody and the Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading….













No comments:

Post a Comment