Sunday, November 8, 2015

A Trip Down Unmemorable Lane....


               Hello all and thanks for checking in at The O’Grady Fly Fishing Adventures. So I was standing in the river this morning with my trusty Golden at my side and I could not shake the strange feelings that raced through my veins. My heart was bouncing in all different directions and one particular emotion was one that I had never felt before.

          It all started in 1982 when my Huskers made a trip to Penn State’s Beaver Stadium. The game was an incredible back and forth battle and in the final minute of the game the Huskers had State on the ropes. Third and very long and Blackledge hits his receiver three yards out of bounds and the official ran in and marks it as a first down catch. Two plays later, State scores and The Huskers got their only loss of the season. In the nineties it was first the awful calls in the Washington game and then the trip to CU where Campbell had the two punt returns with some of the most blatant no call clips of all time. Then Bienemy comes in and runs the half back pass, Huskers intercept and the official on the spot began to lift his arms, then begins to say incomplete and finally throws a flag and calls interference. And a few years later, FSU fumbles into the endzone with a Husker recovery, then it was the punt return phantom flag and finally it was the ticky tack personal fouls on the QB. And these were just a few of the unbelievably awful games my heart endured over the years.

          So while standing in the river this morning my emotions had no idea where to go. As a Husker fan this morning I felt a little sheepish, and then the annoyance of all those bad calls over the years and then a complete peace fell over my whole body, you see I finally looked around and realized that I was standing in the river with my trusty Golden retriever.

          I would love to tell you all how great the fishing has been this week but that would be a complete lie. Fishing has been difficult with bugs hatching only sporadically throughout the day and really very little to get the fish excited. Guide trips this week have seen a few nice fish to the net, but tough fishing none the less. I did see J Browning pick up a few nice fish, but I can’t tell you the secret fly he was using; you would need to ask him. As for the next week or so, pray for cold to get the Res. turned over. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, Last Nights Officials and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…….



















2 comments:

  1. Connell, ......Congrats on your Huskers getting the W over MI St......with all the rumors flying around about significant damage to the Pueblo tailwater fishery because of the sustained high flows this summer, we would like to hear your take on the situation. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Gary, it is good to hear from you again, its been a while. As for reports on the tail water, I really want to wait until I get a real good look. A few weirs have definitely filled in but at the same time, I have noticed other runs take form. When the water began to clear and lower in September, things looked different but still saw lots of fish. What I would say at this point is not to look at the changes as damage but maybe new opportunities and runs. See ya soon, hope your Golden is still doing well.

    ReplyDelete