Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Peace and Quiet Water

     
          Storms to the north offer a rare joy on Pueblo’s tail water, peace and quiet.  When snow locks the poor fisherman of Springs and Denver inside their city limits the Arkansas here becomes a sweet place of solidarity.  Pulling into the parking lot at Valco today my joy bubbled over.  No matter how many times I counted I come to two. Yes, only two cars graced the parking lot.  As I geared up I tried to think of a word to express what I was feeling and decided one word would not describe it.  So using more than one word here is how solidarity on the water feels:
                Imagine throwing a party.  Several people attend.  Family, friends, casual acquaintances, and strangers walk around your house and eat your food.   Loud conversations and laughs intermix with the tension and fights which come from too many people in a too little space.  This is how the river has felt for the last two months.  Today, however, was the last hour of the party.  It is at this time when conversations are quiet and serious and only your best friends are there.  The hour when true bonding and reminiscing occurs. Today was just me and the fish in the final hour of the winter river party. 
The fishing was not exceptional in numbers or size, but in the sweet peace and quiet I found an exceptional day of fishing.  J

Fish rising to snowflakes.... I swear they were having fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment