Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Trick Or Treat


   I remember growing up that Halloween was pretty much my favorite holiday of the year. With September being the time to go back to school and the first couple weeks of October getting cold, the fifteenth would hit and you would start thinking about Halloween. We didn’t have a lot of extra money growing up so most years I was sporting my football uniform and that was okay with me because I felt faster in it. The excitement of the day was extraordinary; I could barely make it through school. 5:00 P.M. would roll around and I would be out the door and hard at it. Two pillow cases and running from house to house til about 9:00 when the lights would shut off. Getting home I would find a solitary place to dump it out and start sorting; Snickers and Reese’s in one pile, 3 musketeers and the rest of the chocolate in another, the pectin based Skittles, Dot’s and JuJu be’s in another, the sugary sweet tarts, pixie sticks ,gum, kandy korn, and candy cigarettes in another, and finally the nasty little orange and black peanut buttery things in another. After counting out a complete inventory I would start the pigging out process, three days and the best chocolate was gone, then the pectin candies, next the sugary and gums and finally all that would be left were those little nasty orange and black candies. Unwrapping the orange and black wax wrappers, sullenly I would rue the fact that I did not do a better job saving the good stuff, but hey, Christmas was on a month and a half away.

  I hiked down to check out some of my favorite spots on the river today and it kind of reminded me of those Halloweens as a kid. The spawn like September, always seems to linger longer than it should and I had been anxiously waiting for the completion. It is an amazing thing to see everything fall into place at the same time every year. Under the City Park bridge I counted twenty or so quality fish (16 inches and up). The fish are feeding like crazy, the water is in perfect condition and the bugs are hatching like there is no tomorrow (actually that is true for the mayflies). The last few weeks of fishing have been nothing short of full sized Snickers and Reese’s, the feeding lanes are packed full of feeding fish, but I also know that it won’t be long and the bag will be empty or just a couple of those orange and black things. If the pattern holds the same as the last few years, we should have about three more weeks of tremendous fishing. Lake season is just around the corner but don’t rue the fact that you did not enjoy your candy a little better.

  I know I have been harping the last few posts about now being the time to teach the newbies to fish and I will keep it up. We have several Guide trips going out this week but still have a few slots open into early next week. We at The Drift Fly Shop are passionate about fly fishing and will do everything we can to make you time on the water a success. There is nothing quite like watching a client land his or her first 20+ inch fish. Thanks for reading, Connell 719-543-3900

No comments:

Post a Comment