Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cat Chimes in on Magical Night


                Due to his amazing creative nature Connell has been writing most of the blogs, but tonight was magical so I wanted to chime in…. So here I chime:
In the shop recently I ran into a friend from my home town and being from a small place this is a rare and wonderful event.  During our chat it became clear that not only had he never fished on the tailwaters of Pueblo, but he had also been told by others that it was not very good.  I took this personally.  There is no other place on the planet that I know more intimately (house included, I still haven’t learned the light switches in 7.5 years) than this river.  So when her value comes into question I don’t hesitate to do what I can to defend her honor!!  So to the river we ventured with an added friend (also a Pueblo virgin).   These two men are great fisherman and took to my nymphing strategies quickly.  The flow for this evening was about 315cfs which is amazing, the clearity was only about two feet, and not many adult insects were around…………… so what was so magical?  THE FISH!!  I have seen a lot of large fish in this river over the years but tonight was exception because of two things.  First was the fatness of the fish.  To say these fish were footballs is likely to give footballs a weight complex, they were tubby.  A few of these guys were even wider than long.

Then secondly the magic came from a brown.  The brown population is few and far between down here and browns of much size are even rarer.  Tonight however this brown (see below) was landed and it was the largest brown I have seen in person in three years…..magic!!!

New Believer #1


So I try to learn something new each time I’m out and tonight I learned this:

Sometimes the river doesn’t need me to defend her honor….. she does it on her own J

New Believer #2

Here's a quick video of me :
Have a good night, thanks for reading. Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment