Thursday, February 7, 2013

Whats In a Reel?

The Hatch Finatic 3plus


 
 
 
 
Many many years ago I remember walking into a flyshop and inquired about upgrading my setup. The owner, who still to this day I respect probably more than any other person in this business, explained to me the ideal way to distribute your money among your gear if you are purchasing around a budget. He explained that a person needs to spend the majority of their money on the rod and line, and that since the job of the reel is basically just to hold line it gets the smallest portion. I took his words as Gospel and bought my first high end rod and line. Back in those days, most of my fishing consisted of the upper Ark, small creeks and one of my favorites, San Isabel. As I fished these waters I was convinced that I was THE MAN, several times I had hundred fish days and if I walked away from the water with less than forty fish I was having a bad day. With all those little fish that buying advise held true as the cheap reel was never a problem and I loved regurgitating the whole don’t worry about your reel statement to other flyfishermen.

After several years of that type of fishing, Cat and I decided that we wanted to learn to catch big fish. We made several trips to the Dream Stream, the Taylor, and the Yampa, unfortunately with very little success. Then finally, after many attempts things started to click. I remember being so excited after hooking and landing fish in the 15 to 18 inch range and then it all changed when I hooked a pig. Unlike any of the other fish I had dealt with before this big guy was to the reel in a flash and working on instinct I quickly tried to palm the reel. It slowed him for a sec and then he exploded across the river, the reel screamed, backlashed and SNAP(followed by a few choice words..... you can ask Steve Fieldmen what I might had said :) ). I spent the next day and a half fighting the reel because I could never get the drag set correct. When Cat and I got back to Pueblo I headed straight to the flyshop and purchased a Ross Evolution. We headed back to the Taylor the next weekend and I could not believe the difference when the drag worked correctly. Since that day, Cat and I have purchased several Evolutions and have felt like they were all the reel we would ever need...... I no longer tell people that reels don’t make difference especially when chasing pig.

Alex brought the Hatch reels into the shop a while back and Cat bought one for her saltwater rod right away. While playing with it I was immediately drawn to the look and the solid feel of the reel. I went ahead and purchased one for myself in the smaller size (Finatic 3plus) and got it in the other day. Today I got to get out and test the reel on the water. One of the draws of the reel is with the way the bearings are sealed the reels are good for saltwater and should not freeze when they get cold (couldn’t test that today). I found feeding fish in one of the first spots I stopped and after just a few casts I hooked about a twenty incher that I was able to get to the reel very quickly. I played him for a short time but he was able to get me into the rocks and eat my lunch, not the reels fault. I hooked and landed three more and the drag worked flawlessly. A few more fish and one spit hook I was very happy with the performance and smoothness of the drag and found it very easy to adjust the drag. It truly felt like the reel could handle anything this river could throw at me. I am happy with my new purchase. I still have a special place in my heart for the evo, but no buyer regret here.

For a quick river report, I found the river to be in complete flux today with a different surprise around every corner. I got below the first bend at Valco and found fifty or so very large fish suspended in a total prespawn slumber. I moved back up and into a set of rocks and found several aggressively feeding fish. I also found fish in deep runs, hooked a few in riffles, and even found a dozen or so that were actually on redds. It looked as if today was the opening day of spawn. If you get out make sure you fish the entire river. The redds seem a little early to me and still is up to the angler as to whether or not to harass them while they are getting busy. Remember, the TU fishing tourney is on Saturday so if you are fishing that day make sure you go below P Blvd. As always, thanks for reading. Connell, Cat and The Drift Fly Shop


 

2 comments:

  1. Haha I think I was there when u opened the box!! Never tried a hatch yet.... soon hopefully. But I love my Lamson Velocity

    ReplyDelete
  2. And even though u just got a sweet reel u still talked about what a b8@#$ it is foul hooking fish this time of year. Thanks for the conversation. I know I would be wanting to fill my new reel up and get on the water. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete