Sunday, March 3, 2013

Golden Of Goldens


  So the other night after open tying I had a customer approached me and ask what it would cost to hire Winston as a guide for a day. I was crushed and like a horrible nightmare memories flashed through my mind of how my puppy has become more popular than myself. One memory of how someone had asked me to post more fish pics with Winston and less of my ugly mug. Our blog fans continue to ask for more Winston cams in the videos and I can’t tell you how many people recognize me on the river because of Winston. Well I cried inwardly for a while and when we got home I whined to Cat about Winston's job offer and newly acquired fame. Cat could see how it had hurt me so deeply and immediately gave me about an hours worth of Cat therapy. She is so magical and was able to get me back to believing that I was a successful, sexy, smart and the greatest guide of all time. The saddest thing is that I think Cat actually believes it.hehe Well after Cats reaffirmation of my greatness I started thinking about how lucky I really am to be blessed with such wonderful fishing partners: Winton, Cat and Brandon. Cat was stuck working the shop today and I knew it going to be just me and Winston. I went ahead and put aside all my jealousies and decided that today on the water and the blog would be almost entirely about Winston.

  The river today was just short of epic landing seven fish over 18 inches, one just over 21, in the first hour on the river. As I was fishing I had one friend walk up and say hey Connell. As most of our readers know, I am very nearly blind when it comes to recognizing faces on the river(good thing I can still spot fish).He said he could tell it was me because of the orange hat and the Golden. I moved down river from there and as I was walking by another gentleman with a golden I said  “come on Winston”, The guy sitting there said “ did you call him  Winston, are you Connell”? Yep, second chair again to the notorious Winston again. Turns out Gary is one of our readers from the Springs, it was nice to meet Gary today. Just a warning though, I will probably recognize his Golden before I recognize Gary.hehe   Covered a lot of water today and caught fish in most places I stopped. The afternoon slowed down but got to see some of my favorite scenes. The fish moved a little deeper and the color right now is a deep aqua. Bringing the bows up from the depths with the deep aqua backdrop and the  dark red side stripe flashes with such a color contrast that it is  like being at Elitch Gardens and watching the colors of the Mind Eraser Roller Coaster at night. God was smiling on the river today. Headed back up river and caught more fish on the way, best day since Christmas. I have been telling people that fishing is good but not easy. I felt like 11:00 to 12:00 was easy and the rest of the day good.

  Had a customer talk to Cat today that landed a 28 inch rainbow and has pics with a measuring tape to back up the story. Can’t wait to see the pics so I have something more than just Winston to be jealous of, congrats on the fish!!! I will finish off the blog with pics from today, I knew it was a good day but even so was surprised to see I had taken 20 pics today.

  With Winstons new found fame I will  be working on getting a stamp of Winston's footprint so when we see his fans on the water we can add a little ink and allow him to stamp his footprint on your waders or wherever you would like his signature, women please keep spots appropriate since Winston is only two years old. As always, very little I say should ever be taken serious, but Winston, Cat, Connell and The Drift Fly Shop would like to thank you for reading anyway……
 










 

1 comment:

  1. OOh

    He's so pretty. He's so cute
    Rocky wants to come out and play, not to mention jimbo
    Love to all

    ReplyDelete