Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Snow Day!!!!!


  I was heading to the river today and my heart was nearly jumping out of my chest from excitement looking at the swallows and the snow. Winston was in his seat in the back and had his usual blissful grin plastered across his face. My hands were a little sweaty and I was having a very difficult time sitting still, this just might be that epic BWO day I had been waiting for all spring. As I was pulling into the State Park an old Pat Benatar song (Hell Is for Children) came on the radio and I was magically whisked into a flashback of the Omaha blizzard of 1975.

   The school day started like any other and then the snow began to fall outside. The snow and wind quickly started to pile up and after about an hour the intercom beeped and was followed by a list of kids that their parents were there to pick them up and they were excused for the day. Every fifteen minutes the intercom would beep and another list of “not me” would roll by. Two hours went by and more than half of my class was gone. I knew I was most likely stuck at school for the entire day because our family only had one car and I knew my dad was not going to be able to get us. Even still, every time the intercom made the beep to add to the list I would say a quick prayer, hands clasped together begging God to make sure my name was called, followed by an eleven year old pity party when my name wasn’t.  Thinking back to what a wonderful student I was, I am sure the teacher was praying for my parents to show up as well. Our class was down to about 3 or 4 kids with myself and my neighbor Kim Crossman when the intercom made its beep and listed Kim and then Grady O’Connell. WooHoo!!!I didn’t know this Grady dude but it was close enough to my name that I jumped up and ran to the office. Kim’s dad was there to pick us both up, I really didn’t care who was picking us up but was just elated that now I was FREE!!!!

  I got to the water today about noon and was psyched to see the swallows swarming the entire river. I headed straight for Peek-a-Boo and started casting; third cast and I landed a beautiful 16 inch rainbow. Fishing was strange today; I would catch 5 fish and then go half an hour without a bump. I kept surveying the water and even though the swallows were swarming, I didn’t see any bugs.  I ran into Scooter and we spent the afternoon fishing together. The pattern never really changed with fish being a little spotty. With the water being raised earlier in the week and the low light conditions of today, we had to rely on memory of these flows rather than sighting and then casting. Our best action came between 2:30 and 3:30 when we were stalking rock clusters that we have mostly ignored the last several months with the lower flows. Flies of the day were the True Blood, FOD and Ninja midge.

  I have been in the Subway business for twenty two years and have known for quite some time that our business is hugely weather related (rain and snow = slow sales). One of the great things about flyfishing is that the snow and rain can bring about some of the best hatches and keep some of the crowds away, so it is kind of a win win or lose lose situation however you look at it. With my tendonitis acting up in my wrist I have been trying to be real picky about the days I fish. I saw last night that a storm was supposed to move in today but was also supposed to be accompanied by high winds. I wasn’t planning on fishing today but after a few hours of work I saw that it was starting to rain but no wind. The gears in my mind began to turn and I decide the fish needed me more than my employees.

  It’s crazy how 37 years later snow and a song (Kim had the Pat Benatar album and played it all the time) can trigger the exact same childish emotions that controlled me as a child. The second I decided I was heading to the river it was like I was that eleven year old once again skipping all the way to the office…I was FREE!!!!! So when people tell me I should grow up, I decline because I don’t ever want to lose that joy in my life. As always, thanks for reading Connell, Cat, Winston and the Drift Fly Shop…






 

No comments:

Post a Comment