Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Cast From the Past!!!


  It’s been a few years since we have needed to find a different place to fish but with the Ark continuing to run high we decided to make a day trip up to Beaver Creek. For those that have not fished it, Beaver Creek comes out of Skagway reservoir and flows south down to Brush Hollow reservoir. We have fished it several times (Ode to Cat) but it had been several years since we have made the trip.

The first thing you notice when you get to the parking lot is how green the small valley is.  Then a short walk to the creek and  the real fun starts. The creek is full of small browns and a few bows. We caught all browns today and I do believe I landed the smallest fish I have ever seen. I pulled out my dry fly box today and had to oil the hinges before I could get it open. I had forgotten how cool it is to watch those fish slam your flies on the top. Even now when I close my eyes I can see fish hitting the top.

  The creek has lots of bug life; we saw bwo’s, midges, lots of butterflies and a bunch of enormous stoneflies. If going you don’t need a net, just an extra bottle of water. Wet wading was very comfortable.  A 2 or 3 weight is probably the way to go on Beaver because a 5 weight hook set may put a fish or two in your front pocket. As we were getting back to the car I realized that I was no longer 40, but don’t tell Cat. The river may still be high in P-town for a few more weeks or so but don’t let that stop your days on the water. Beaver, Grape, St Charles and even ophir are all fishing well right now. Spinney has seen some incredible action as of late. As always, thanks for reading and enjoy your time on the water. Connell, Cat, Winston and The Drift Fly Shop….















1 comment:

  1. NICE - Beaver Creek is always a blast. Spinney sucked yesterday.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete