Thursday, February 19, 2015

Slush Bumps

          What’s up all and thanks for checking in at the O’Grady Flyfishing Adventures blog. I guess it was nearly 30 years ago, I had just finished my junior year of college and I was dreading the idea of becoming what my major had in store for me. I then, thankfully, made one of my costliest decisions of my life. My first and only spring break vacation took place in the mountains and afterwards I could not pry the vision of the mountains from my mind. I went back over Memorial Day and decided to take a job “just for the summer” and never made it back. As my first winter approached I was lucky enough to find a job at the Winter Park ski shop. Every morning I was up early and anxious to get to the mountain. Four hours of work, a quick bite to eat and a speed walk to the lifts. It didn’t take long to feel like I had mastered the groomers and the obsession turned to bumps. I couldn’t get enough; obsessively I had to beat the bumps. January and February passed and my body began to feel the pain, Ibuprofen became part of my daily diet. As March made its way in I began to feel like I was getting better and something magical happened. The bullet proof bumps of winter warmed and became Big Giant Mashed Potato Slush Bumps. It was incredible, the bumps were super fast but soft as well. Balance came easy and my skis felt like they were squarely under my feet. Tips down and rat-tat-tat, a little hop and some air and back into the line for more hero turns. I started spending a lot of my time under the lifts so that everyone could see how awesome I was. Well the weather would change and the hero snow from the day before would turn back to ice and I could not wait for another slush bump day.
           Fast forward 30 years and I feel like I am still in the same boat. My knees have aged to where even drugs only barely help and big fat slush bumps don’t give me quite the thrill of yesteryear, but the right spring day can still get my blood pumping through my veins. Last week I had a guide trip out and for an hour or so the fish moved themselves out of their winter slumber and back in to zesty eating machines. Sunday’s trip to the water saw fish a little more subdued. I was looking at the forecast and really wanted to get out on a warm day and today was it. Cat and I made it to the water at around 11:00a.m. and before I knew what was going on Cat looked like she was skiing super hero slush bumps. Every time I looked up she was fighting another fish. She then pulled a “Connell” on me, yep she said do you want to come fish this spot. My ego said “No”, but after two more fish I came to my senses and I said sure I’ll go try that run. We switched spots and she hooks one right where I had been. I finally started hooking fish but the landing percentage was awful today. I think I lost 11 out of my first 12 fish. Well things turned off and on all day for the both us and getting home and going through the footage we realized that we had done even better than we thought. Yep, it was like we were shredding slush bumps all day.
           Fish were eating off and on all day long and they never really keyed in on any one fly. Black Ninjas, Olive Juju’s, Blings, and grey BWO emergers were the ticket today. I tried eggs for little while this afternoon and the fish didn’t seem interested. Now I do have one Bit**; I landed a fish today and the poor thing had an egg and about a two inch stinger hook stuck in his a**. It made me a little sick, please people, if you are using peg eggs please use stinger hooks no larger than a size 18. Peg eggs are not for snagging any poor fish within six inches of the egg, but actually for the safety of the fish as they grab the egg. Okay now back to the fun stuff, a storm is coming back in this weekend and next week is supposed to warm back up. From now until runoff fishing ought to be good to excellent. Get here and be the hero of your own mind. As always Connell, Cat, Winston, The Mary Jane and The Drift Fly Shop want to thank you for reading…. 







No comments:

Post a Comment